1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i went and did it......

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Scott, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Scott

Scott Some Assembly Required

....i bought the Abit IT7 MAX2 V.2 motherboard. just finished swapping my P-4 1.8A and crucial pc-2100 (512MB) to it. so far i have pushed it up to 2007MHZ, and it seems to like it :). i also threw in a new HDD and a clean install of XP pro. now i can fix my friends' computers from here with the remote assistance :).

but still, i want more speed from it. does anyone else have this board and have it OC'ed? i'm thinking about just upping the FSB straight to 133 and seeing what this f**ker can really do......LOL

2. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

SWEET lookin board Scott....

If that is a new board....do yourself a favor and give it a day or so of runnin before really openin that pup up WAO....

After that should be no problem. I love Crucial memory..they are one of the best. When you crank that thing up...you may end up bringin up the DDR Voltage a hair to stabilize it...but what the hell the worst that will happen is it will blow your OS away..hehehehe

Make sure you keep an eye on the temps and have a good HS on that P4...

Let us know how you make out.....

3. Scott

well, it's at 2096 right now, and with my bedroom window cracked open a little it's idling at 38C. i have a volcano 7+ on the high speed setting on the processor. seeing as the ram was made to go 266MHZ, do you think it would hold up if i went to 133FSB in a few days?

4. Scott

oh yeah-----and it's stable as hell. haven't seen one hiccup yet.

5. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

oh yeah Scott...it should hold no problem. When I do any new systems I like to let them burn in for at least 24hrs...Even if its just an idle with a screen saver on them. I have heard that this conditions the DDR as well as the CPU, but haven't found proof of it anywhere...heheheheh
    Crucial is excellent memory and you shouldn't have any problems, but keep an eye on the temps when you OC...put it through some paces..do something that requires some processing power and see where the temps go to. 38C is ok for idle, watch the full load temp as well.
    I have my XP1900 OC'd alot...depends on my mood..hehehehe

going to check where I'm at now and will re-post

6. jamming

jamming Banned

Overclocking and Such is possible on most chips, but remember one thing, the faster you push a chip the lower its lifespan. If you got the money do what you want though.

7. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Scott,
    Right now I'm running 135 x 12 = 1620 and have 34C idle. I use an SK-6 heatsink.

Have had this thing up to 144 x 12, and it runs real stable at 40C. Anything higher than that and it starts to get alittle funky.

normally I keep it running in the 133-135 range, because with all the graphics I do ...that processor heats up fast.

If your going to keep that thing rev'd up a couple things to note.

keep an eye on those temps...especially if your gaming or running cpu intensive programs.

If you are not using Artic Silver for a thermal compound on that cpu....Don't kick it....Order some of the new AS Polysynthetic Compound..and put that on that processor b4 you really rev it up.
    (**note**-- when I run OC'd for any length of time, more than a week at a time, the idle temp of the XP1900 tends to run higher and I usually end up re-applying the AS. AS slowly breaks down, as do all thermal compounds, and this break down is accelerated with excessive heat.

And yes, Jamming is correct, the lifespan of a processor will be shortened by severe overclocking. I try not to let mine run WAO for any extended periods...
    but I do love to crank it up...

watch the temps...thats most important///

8. Scott

cool :). thanks for the tips, guys.

BTW, the processor and ram should be fully burned in by now----i had them on another mobo for about 9 months at stock speeds. i was going to buy a faster processor in a few weeks, when my friend gets up the cash to buy my "spare" computer system. so in my eye, the one in here now is expendable. LOL

9. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

OK..don't hit the OC key....

just back away slowly mister....

hehehehehehe

10. Scott

back away from what button? ;)

i like 600MHZ extra

11. jamming

jamming Banned

After Intel or AMD produces the next clock level of chips, the ones that don't make that level are usually capable of the level before. During this transition time production chips are all the same, the ones that don't make the higher rating are sold at lower ratings. So generally CPU's are capable of higher speeds than their rated speed. Just be careful and don't waste your chip, 'kay.

12. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

So Scott, what's the total system cost so far?

SM

13. Scott

i don't want to even think about it :).

14. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Oh! :haha:

A new bike woulda been cheaper, huh?

SM

15. Scott

heh-----with all the computer related shit i have bought in the last few years, TWO bikes would have been cheaper:nut:

16. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

OK....so I cranked mine up a bit...We can go alittle higher but this is comfortable for me...

but I still don't have that 533FSB....damn I gotta get a new machine....

17. Scott

well, just an update on the machine. it's been running WFO since 12/30, and hasn't caused any problems yet. i love this board!!!!

even flashing the bios was a breeze. the nice folks at Abit took it upon themselves to write a little batch file that does 90% of the dirty work for you. just copy the files onto a bootably floppy, boot from it and run the batch file. --------great feature for someone like me (someone who has the memory of a drunken monkey).

i'm totally sold on Abit. i used to ONLY use tyan, but it looks like that's changed :).

all i need to do is get some faster memory, and this thing will be a beast..................

18. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

EXCELLENT news Scott. Glad you like that new board.

And yeah I agree ABIT is definitely one of the top notch mb's

19. jamming

jamming Banned

Congrats on your success, make sure you don't inadvertantly disable your temperature monitoring software, and go crank those cycles ;)