1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I was willing to wait and see, but now?????

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Biker, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

While Trump hasn't been my choice to represent our country, I was willing to adopt a "wait and see" attitude to give him a chance to get his act together and see what he'd do for the country. Up to this point, there wasn't much to make me sit up and go "NOPE!". His SCOTUS pick wasn't too bad, and much of his executive order signings weren't much to write home about.

But... When he begins to rail against federal judges who are upholding their responsibilities as far as checks and balances are concerned, now we have a problem, and it's a big one. Someone better explain the facts of life to Mr Trump and the reason why we have a Constitution to begin with. Otherwise those that voted for him are going to turn against him in a big way and he'll never finish the 4 years. I'm beginning to agree with the bookies who are betting he'll be impeached before the first 4 years is up.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Yeah, he still thinks he's running The Apprentice or one of his businesses. I knew he would try to go as far as possible and then hit a brick wall of Checks and Balances. This is why we have three main branches in our government. It's not a Democracy but a Republic.

3. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Hi ya. :) So, don't you think those checks and balances will work? Frankly, this 'on the job training' is bugging me. AND, while I appreciate Conway was the first woman campaign manager, it sure would be nice if she would know what she's talking about.

4. ethics

Checks and Balances WILL work. I think Tom and I are a but peeved that Trump doesn't understand that. I love COnway. I don't agree with her but damn what an amazing job she has done just to get Trump in there.

5. Biker

I do believe Trump will try to find a way to do an end run around anything that prevents him from doing what he wants to do. At the end of the day, though, I think he'll be told to go pound sand.

ethics likes this.
  6. cdw

That she has done, and I appreciate it, I got it. But sheesh she says some of the stupidest things. They're all running here, running there, doing this, doing that... slow the hell down! Then ya might not look so damned stupid. It's just frustrating to see all this stuff. I have to say, I voted for him... I wouldn't vote for HC if my life depended on it. But I honestly believed a lot of what he said was rhetoric, campaign rhetoric. I did not believe he would go so friggin' crazy at such a pace as this. Perhaps I should have just skipped the Presidential vote. *sigh*

ethics likes this.
  7. Biker

I think what we have is an individual who's "drunk" on his newly found power. Hopefully he'll sober up soon. Otherwise, he may be in for a rude awakening as Congress gets fed up and starts impeachment proceedings. Which would mean Pence becomes President and Paul Ryan becomes VP.

That could work I think.

8. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

What's really disturbed me about this is that so many of the guys over at the military forum I visit are giving Mr. Trump grief for "rolling over for a judge."

Guys, that's how it's supposed to work: POTUS tries to do something. People push back and get a temporary injunction. That's the system at work. LLots of those guys are cops. Is obeying a restraining order "rolling over for a judge?"

I've seen several people suggest Mr. Kasich as veep to Mr. Pence. I still don't think Mr. Trump will finish his first year. Too many limits on his power.

There have been a couple of interesting suggestions about Mr. Trump's reading capability as well as possible ADHD. I've even wondered about undiagnosed Aspberger's.

ethics likes this.
  9. Biker

Trump is so used to having things "his way" that he doesn't realize running the country isn't the same as running a corporation. And sadly, he's surrounded himself with "like minded people" who aren't hauling him up short and explaining the facts of life to him. He needs to replace some of his inside circle and get some folks that can guide him reliably. Otherwise, his first term is going to be a very short one.

10. cdw

On the job training. I wonder if the little bobble heads are worth more if he gets impeached. :roflmao: At this point, I don't see that happening...I think they will just keep fighting him and letting the courts decided. Stay tuned for another episode...

11. ethics

Cyd, she says stupid things because she has to cover for his shit. She can't totally avoid it. This is a skit but man, it strikes me as more true than not.

12. Biker

He's obviously an intelligent individual, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten to where he's at now. However, like I said earlier, he's so used to having his own way, I think he ignores what he reads or is told and tries to find ways to do things his way. While this may have worked in the business world, it's not working now and it's apparently frustrating him.

I suspect he thought all he'd have to do is snap his fingers and everyone would leap to do his bidding. The concept of checks and balances is something he's never had to really deal with. He needs to get a clue, and he needs to get it sooner rather than later.

ethics likes this.
  13. cdw

:roflmao:

ethics likes this.
  14. Arc

Arc Full Member

I'm a serious road bicycle guy. Too bad all of you aren't as some of the impact of the following will understandably be lost. In the serious cycling community which is by nature highly argumentative on what's right and what's wrong nothing and I mean absolutely nothing created such a divisiveness as Lance Armstrong. There was absolutely no middle ground opinions and no changing anyone's mind. Individual cyclists either hated him as a cheater or they loved him as the best that wasn't doing what all his competitors were doing. People were really, really passionate about both side too. It was war. A war of opinions. The war of words were fought as if it was life or death.

I mention the above because Trump reminds of the above except it is not just the cycling world it is the whole world and especially the United States. There is no middle ground. Folks generally feel strongly one way or the other.

Thomas Jefferson said, "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical." Rebellion and revolution are synonymous here.

Trump is that revolution in the USA. IMO in the long run it matters little what he does and whether or not I like or dislike each thing associated with him. (And there is definitely both.) But the revolution he is causing will in the long run long after he is gone prove to overall be a good thing. Not perfect. But a very good thing.

cdw likes this.
  15. Allene

Allene Registered User

Hopefully, the pendulum will swing to the center after this period runs its course.

Arc and cdw like this.
  16. Biker

I don't think it will. If anything, it's getting worse. The media is no longer coy about its leanings. Both sides are as entrenched as ever. And I see absolutely nobody on the horizon that is even remotely capable of uniting both sides.

17. Allene

Allene Registered User

I still have hope. Down through the ages, that pendulum has never been permanently stuck in one place. We can always count on change, although not always for the better.

18. Arc

Arc Full Member

I agree wholeheartedly. But allow me to further the concept behind that thought. :)

Hopefully things will move more toward sanity and compromise along with equal standards of treatment and judgement for all. Let go back to the days of civility and attempts to reconcile, (civilly) our differences. In the USA do away with the culture of the escalating divisive establishment of a clan or tribal mentally, not to mention special interests. Replace it with the reality that in the USA we are all Americans and the constitution does not discriminate. The constitution considers us all one entity, not a bunch of competing special interests with different political and social agendas.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    ShinyTop and Allene like this.