1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think the EL is dead folks

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by midranger4, Nov 4, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Ah Ok. I recall about three which were very interesting and I believe one, at least, was started by Stevent.

2. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I disagree with your observations as well Coot.

Nobody is claiming any moral highground. Nobody is berating Justin or BBR.

Simply discussing the impact of the change weeks after it was implemented does not qualify as beratement imo.

When I saw the screenshot I posted at the top of this thread the other day at BBR I just thought it demonstrated quite clearly that the EL has changed dramatically since the caps were put in place.

Whether those changes are positive or negative is entirely a matter of opinion.

My opinion....the caps killed the place.

On a brighter note the EL conflict brought us all here. Where we all actually enjoy more freedom then we did at BBR.

Hat's off to Ethics and the regulars here who welcomed us with open arms.

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

You're welcome. Now get the hell out!

Actually, why would this Justin guy want to impose a cap anyway? I'm not so sure I follow the reasoning behind that. Is there supposed to be a benefit?

SM

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

There are many opinions as to why he did it. Stated reason was to include more people by keeping the same old posters from excessive posting. Actual reason is probably different. My suspician has always been that with Ethics and some of the rest of out of there Justin can preach to the children and all of a sudden be unchallenged. Just one idea. It has been destroyed.

5. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

Is this us?

6. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

damnit, why am i always late to the party? ALWAYS - there isn't a thread that I catch fresh, damnit.

I know this is old, but I wanted to add something.

I posted in there last night, after not posting for several days, and received the warning that I had 10 posts left. The previous time I had posted, which must have been 3 or 4 days earlier, told me I had 11.

Call me crazy, but wasn't the limit 14 posts per 7 days, rolling? Which was explained to me to mean that every day, you'd get 2 more posts. So by my count, I should have had my 14 back - instead, I was told I had 1 less post from the previous time, which was a few days earlier.

I think I've been blacklisted - not to the point that Haywire was, with his rolling suspension from the site - which now that I think about it REALLY SUCKS cuz the man paid to access the site, and because he pissed someone off, he's denied access? WTF? REFUND.

Sorry, I just had to vent, because this forum gets activity :)

7. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I don't think it works that way, Misu. I interpreted it to mean that if you want to post something in there, you can only if you've posted fewer than 14 posts since seven days prior. The two per day phrase was just tossed around because it gives you an average of two per day.

Just today I removed that forum from my favorites. It's just plain boring now, even to lurk in there.

8. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I have to agree. The social forums are going way downhill. The cooler all the dollarcides. It's mostly teen problem, people tell person to get off compter, flame war ensues, etc. or a "Flagger" post which annoys everyone...

The EL is very slow and will probably just die of thirst...

I agree BBR needs to go hard core tech.

9. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

Sic semper tyrannis. :mad:

10. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Actually, as time goes by, I think this is exactly it. A few more have taken up his posting style...extra points with the boss for emotion packed inflammatory hyperbole.

11. ethics

To me, it was pretty evident, by the timing, the way it was done, and the whole message as to why the caps were imposed. It's the numero uno reason I left in a fast way.

I honestly didn't expect the people who spoke about boycotting to follow through the way they did. Even some of the folks who chose to give it a try were really responsive as to what they want to see done.

Justin, of course, ignored everyone. He had a goal, but I think it backfired miserably.

I feel bad to all of the people who made that place what it was and received such a bitch slap.

Onwards...

12. jamming

jamming Banned

Yeah and now there appears to be a batch of people raining on the parade there, saying it is great that the Republicans are now in control of both houses and the Presidency. The challenges haven't gone away with his attempt to control the forum there. There are many people which will stand up and oppose empty headed fluffyness when it is presented as the only truth.

The issue is not that we have one opinion or another, the issue is the depth and width of the debate. It is not about winning it is about the process of present arguments and facts that others have not heard. I learned so much from Haywire, Btdude, Ken, and Rredline(my eyes still have scars) that I appreciate hearing their ideas which differ in somethings and match in others.

13. ethics

Same here, Jim.

As much as I disagree with Ken, Haywire, and everyone else, I am still listening and reading with as much as attention and earnest as I do with those that I agree with.

14. -Ken

-Ken Guest

I believe this forum broadens each of us.
    While I seem to have acquired a reputation for never listening, <small><I>I can't imagine how.</i></small>
    views get exchanged, points get debated and believe it or not,
    we are all affected in various subtle ways.

One cannot put one's beliefs up for honest examination and
    review without some real learning occurring.

It is those of us who are willing to take that risk and follow
    through to receive the enlightenment.

15. EMIG

EMIG Yup

Having watched a world-class flame war degenerate into a civil discussion in the UIF forum has convinced me that Justin's ham-handed attempts at enforcing civility on the other site are misguided at best.

Now we just need more Unixy types over here, and I won't bother with that other site at all. (Kidding - I realize this isn't a tech forum.)

16. -Ken

-Ken Guest

EMIG,

The funny thing about this site is
    when we ask for something and
    everybody agrees, it happens.

Should we decide to include all
    kinds of tech discussions, we'd
    expect it to happen as quickly
    or as slowly as we might wish
    to proceed.

Basically, the only limits seem to
    be what we impose. Cool huh?

17. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

I am amazed by the freedom of this Site!

Everyone gets a chance to participate.

I love the Up in Flames as it gives the ability to vent without offending those who wish to avoid it.

...and Rick's place gives me an oppurtunity to be myself without pretentions.

Nothing can be finer than to be in Caroliner

with the Sunriser!!!

18. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

Wasnt that something?
    Two members, both posters that almost always have something worthwhile to say, slugging it out.
    Then, as you say, getting back to being civilized.

Is this a great bunch of folks, or what?
    Regards,

19. EMIG

EMIG Yup

Yup, it's unusual to find signs of intelligent life on the Web...

20. jamming

jamming Banned

Hey, if we keep patting ourselves on the back we could strain something, let us vow to remember from whence we came and what we are striving for here. To that purpose I suggest that we should have a Contest, maybe the next one, be a One Page Declaration of Global Affairs' Independance which not only declares our reasons for seperating but our hopes for the future.