1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think the EL is dead folks

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by midranger4, Nov 4, 2002.

1. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Judging by this screenshot the EL looks to be one step closer to the grave.

5 hours on a Monday and still no posts.

2. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

There was just one. A continuation of a previous thread about mental health.

Scintillating!

On "D-Day" :), there 286 posters. Today there are 247. It drops daily.

I feel like I'm watching an old friend waste away from cancer.

3. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

I feel like I'm watching an adulterous X get cheated on by her new lover.

exciting!

wapu

4. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

I've tried to hang in there, hoping to stir up some debate on topics that interest me.
    But, no one seems to get back to me.
    Possible reasons:
    No one has any posts left.
    Folks have me on 'ignore' (very probable).
    My opinions aren't worth a reply post (extremely possible).

But, even without me in the game, reading the threads in the current EL is like living in slow motion. It takes 'days' for the discussion to get anywhere.
    Well, one of the reasons stated for the 'limits' was to slow things down a bit, so folks without a lot of time could keep up.
    Seems to have worked.
    A shame.

But, I do wonder. Where did all the new posters come from?
    Did they get IM's inviting them?
    Or, did they show up because YOU roudy folks left?
    Seems strange.

Regards,

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

My question is this. And since I still have the URL bookmarked, not that it does anything for me but, <a href="http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,4570752~root=execfloor~mode=flat"> in this thread</a> are the people who were PRO cap limits posting new topics, replying to others, or generating discourse?

I am really interested whether there was a real interest to slow things down or to get rid of people who can at least stand by and defend their opinion?

Out of curiousity.

Edit: No names please. I don't want this forum to become a bash fast on any former EL members. Just a simple yes or no would suffice.

P.S. It's been over a month, many wanted to wait a month to see what happens. If I can base my opinion on what others have said, Justin's idea has not worked.

6. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Most of those who posted *pro cap* remarks either failed to participate at all or participated for a short time and bolted after the change was implemented.

Your right Ethics. It sure appears it was easier to silence the most vocal than to deal with the discourse in a mature manner.

I think I see the cooler taking a dive as well. A series of dollarcides have occured their in recent days. I don't see discourse in the cooler but it appears interest in it is declining.

Maybe BBR should simply lose the social forums altogether and devote itself to being a technical *members helping members* type of site.

The technical forums contain a vast wealth of information and well versed members more than willing to help one another.

Who knows which way the wind will blow Justin in upcoming months.

7. ethics

I was just thinking that. For a site dedicated, and built upon their technology expertise (and let's face it, it's the members once again who made it that), it sure would make more sense to dump the socials and go hardcore with the techies.

8. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

ze graphics!!! don't forget ze graphics!!! :_

BDD... :{) :happy:

9. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I have a similar feeling. While I wasn't around for long before the changes I was hooked and didn't miss a day logging on and posting most of those. Despite the jabs a lot of us have had at Justin and sometimes Mr Sean, its a pity to see EL fade as it has.

10. mikeky

mikeky Member

I counted 16 who were either in favor of the changes or adopted a wait and see attitude. Like midranger said, the only ones that regularly contribute now, after a small initial burst of activity that followed the change, are the sames ones that did before.

11. ethics

Really? Never ventured in to those only because I am beyond learning the graphics forums. :(

In other words, I failed kindergarten scribbling.

12. ethics

Yes, I feel saddened, of course. That place was remarkable.

13. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Stick a fork in it already. I check it daily, and I usually see one new topic, if any. Oh well, we all called it. We were right, and Justin was wrong. But will he admit it and change it back?

Where are the lengthy posts? Where are the new posters who were intimidated by us? They are still lurking because that's what lurkers do.

14. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

This is my favorite part of that thread.;) all of those gilligans with that funny gotee are freeking hillarious!

And, I must say we need the Distributed Computing forums. Team Starfire(SETI) is the 12th ranked SETI team in all the world. We were number 7 and climbing, but lost the number one producer in all the world and he took about 12% of our total with him.

So, keep the DC projects.

wapu

15. EMIG

EMIG Yup

I was away when the cap was imposed. I caught on pretty quickly, 'cause I usually do a lot more reading than writing.

I refuse to be gagged. I will never post there again.

I'm bummed I missed the creationism thread, though.

I browsed through the EL tonight - a wasteland.

16. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I was in favor of posting caps in that venue, and I still am. I didn't think it would be quite as repressive as it has shown to be. 8 per day would have worked nicely. To deny that a bunch of us were "me too" posters would be ridiculous. To deny that many of us here weren't carrying on the same tried and true personal equivocations regardless of who posted in between would be equally ridiculous.

Running roughshod over the posts in the middle, regardless of how much we wanted to 'get' to the other person is exactly why that forum got pre-empted to the degree it was. I find Justin's response unsound...I find the responses here to his decision unbecoming. The beratement is completely unnecessary as is any moral highground claimed.

17. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

I feel embarrassed to reply in this thread as I would be called a lurcker at the EL and this site.

I agree completely with Coot's first comment here. My "Books that have changed your life" thread is a perfect example. The thread was hijacked in the middle by a rant on homosexuals. Totally off topic and degrading as a distraction on the main subject.

The reversion back to the ignore new people was also evident in the "This Forum is dying thread".

I understand that something had to be done.
    I did not agree "how" the decision was made. That is why I am here.

Not the decision per say but how it was implemented. Of course Justin had every right to do what he did.

In this forum, the hijacked thread comments would have been moved to the up in flames forum where the two combatants could continue without affecting the original thread.

As for the Cooler, I haven't visited that forum for months. The senior forum (hidden) has reverted to a worse state than even I thought possible.

I am happy here. I contribute only where I feel comfortable and yet can enjoy the highly stimulating and well thought out comments from those that I admire.

The Mods from BBR that came to visit here under an assumed name have not visited for quite a while. It is a shame, as I think they would be quite impressed with this site's development.

18. ethics

Oh, Fritz shocked me with that. I was laughing so hard I had to leave the room. ;)

EMIG, what creationism thread are you speaking of?

19. ethics

It's their right, of course, and while I agree with you, it puts them in to a difficult situation. Perhaps if they posted under a nick that no one knew? I would love their input.

As for cap limits? I must disagree with Coot and you on it. I don't believe in any limits on posts. It may have worked better with, say, 8 posts per day but in reality the only thing it would do is prolong the dying beast.

Coot, I don't see anyone berating or taking a higher moral ground, other than with the decision. A decision that people make and a decision that people THINK is the right one, but turns out wrong. We all made decisions that were not accurate or downright pathetic in our lives. I know I have... too many! ;) Pointing out that many of us were correct in what would happen there (hey, I was off since I thought it would lead to long posts) is not berating. Perhaps "I told you so" but not berating.

Sure, there were animosity, there were personal battles, but I still think that was based (IMHO) on the strict guidelines that one could not infuse humor in to threads than the issue of people's characters.

I don't know about you but when people started posting here I thought they were completely different people. I think I know most of you more in a month here than I knew most of you in a year over at BBR.

edit: Grammar.

20. EMIG

EMIG Yup

I dunno, I missed it. It was referenced in the thread you linked.