1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[LINUX] I think it's time to say farewell

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

To my beloved Vector Linux.

It's still an awesome distribution, but I think the writing is on the wall. The founder has been MIA for quite some time now and the development has fallen to a small group of individuals. And while these guys are good, I'm getting a distinct impression that there's a lack of direction now. 7.1 has been in development for over 2 years now with no firm idea on getting a final release out to the users. 7.0 was released in November of 2011 and SOHO 7.0 was released in May 2013. 2 years is an awfully long time between releases, especially since the current beta isn't even a full point release.

What a pity. I really do like the distribution. It's been my go to distribution for years. I've preferred the "Slack" way of doing things for ages. But I find myself booting into Mint more than VL now. It may be time to find another "slack" derivative.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Amen. VL was my very first home linux and it will always have a special place in my heart. But with the community elsewhere progressing ahead, FORTUNATELY there are MANY many better builds.

3. Biker

It's been ages since I've looked at it, but I think I'll go back to the roots and see how Slackware itself has come along. It's a rather hefty sized ISO (2.4 GB). Backing up my SOHO data. Going to use that partition for Slack.

4. Biker

Ugh. You'd think after so many years, they'd finally update the installer. They're STILL using the text installer. >.<

Slackware was a complete bust. No options to install the bootloader to the MBR of sdb. The attempt to write LILO to sdb1 failed.

Thankfully, the grub bootloader wasn't touched, so it was a simple matter of booting into VL 7.1 and running grub-mkconfig to get Slackware added to the boot menu.

Unfortunately, two attempts at booting into Slackware got a kernel panic error. I'll dig into it later, but Slack isn't looking good right now.

5. Biker

Finally got in after adding rdinit=ro as a special instruction on boot.

I'm not impressed. While I can sympathize with the purists on keeping things "clean", Slackware is definitely showing it's age by forcing you to go to the CLI for everyday mundane things (like package updates).

**sigh** Mint may very well become my new "go to" distro.

6. ethics

Mint xfcd.

7. Biker

I'm using Cinnamon right now and I'm liking it. Once you get around the quirks of getting it customized, it works rather well. In fact, I like it more than I like KDE.

Mint17.png

ethics likes this.
  8. Biker

One of the developers and I got into a rather lengthy discussion on IRC the other day. He pretty much agrees that unless the founder and other developers start picking up the slack and start participating, the writing is on the wall. There may be a fork, but unless there's active participation on the development side, it too, will quickly fall by the wayside.

Can only hope that eventually things pick back up. But with a severe lack of development (and testing), VL is destined to become a fond memory.

9. Biker

We think we've figured out why there's such a lack of "enthusiasm" on the part of the founder and original developers. The existing development team has been streamlining the build process with git and buildbots. In other words, do your development work, push it back to the git repo and then trigger the buildbot to create a new ISO and push it out to the distribution servers.

Some of the original developers have been whining about "loss of control" over the work and can't see that this new way is much more efficient with new updates being pushed in a matter of hours rather than days.

I still hold out hope. I've even managed to convince them to include Cinnamon in a future build. SWEET!

10. Greg

Greg Full Member

The thing that made Microsoft was a serious GUI, and by Win2k (I think earlier, maybe one of their abortive efforts?) but by Win2k the GUI didn't run on top of the text based OS (DOS) any more.

IMO some form of Linux will have to skip the Linux command line with a GUI over the top and do like Windows and integrate the GUI as the main interface to the OS, with a fake command utility like Windows' command shell (DOS prompt).

I think the lack of a good GUI has always been the problem with Linux. Part of the problem is that there is only one Windows GUI, where there are several versions of a Linux GUI. If the Linux folks could combine their efforts they could probably beat Microsoft, particularly where MSFT is headed.

("Windows 8: It's a desktop, it's a laptop, it's a tablet, it's a smartphone, it's an embedded OS, it's a set top box... Shit, we can do everything with one OS but we can't do any of them well.")

11. Biker

There may be hope yet. The founder has come back (apparently had some hefty personal issues to deal with) and things look to be getting on track again.

We're also very close to releasing 7.1 and it's shaping up to be a rather nice distribution.

12. Biker

VL 7.1 Standard was released last week and I dare say it's pretty good. We're now working on SOHO and hope to have that polished up and released within a month.

Then it's 7.2 (perhaps a full version change to 8) with some nifty changes planned, including a Cinnamon version.

13. Biker

Still some minor tweaking to do with SOHO, but it's coming along nicely.

soho.png

14. Greg

Greg Full Member

The only serious question for me these days is "What Linux distro are you running."

If they say "Microsoft" I know they are a non-techie girl.

Girls are great but you don't wanna get tech advice from them unless they are like Kim Kommando.

15. Biker

You're an idiot.

ethics likes this.
  16. ethics

Uhm, wtf? You've just exposed the biggest problem with tech field and underlined (using yourself as an example) why there is an issue with women in tech.

17. Biker

And it's not the issue of women being in tech. It's an issue of slope headed reprobates thinking they're all that and more.

The field would be far better off if those very same reprobates would GTFO the Internet and go back to the cave where they belong.

ethics likes this.
  18. Greg

Greg Full Member

Enjoy your Windows 11, engineered for idiots.

19. Biker

If the shoe fits. Now stop derailing threads with your meaningless nonsense.

20. Greg

Greg Full Member

Your opinion.