1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I KNEW booze was good for ya!

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Biker, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

"Scientists know drinking can prevent heart attacks, but new research shows that how often you imbibe is a lot more important than what or how much. "

Hee hee hee. Seems I was right all along. Boozing it up IS good for your health. Barkeep! Another round!

<a href="http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/conditions/01/08/heart.drinking.ap/index.html" target="blank">CNN article is here.</a>

2. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Bah! Italians could have told them that ages ago. They drink wine like water. I am not talking about cheap chianti either. I was raised on a little bit of wine with the dinner meal even as a kid. Just a taste. Doctors! Bah. More vino! The elixir of life!

3. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

The study creates a bit of a conundrum for us recovering alcoholics. I have been well aware of the French and Italian practice of wine with a meal and the beneficial health effects that they entail.

It was a great rationalization for us that were in denial.
    I have always felt that the study was true. However, those of us that went through the great struggle attempted this little caveat to no avail. I can't quite put my finger on it, whether it is a genetic disorder, a unique chemical reaction, a psychological dependence, a learned response or whatever, the bottom line is that we WANT to get drunk. Moderation is not an option of one predisposed to alcoholism. The compulsive disorder extends beyond the physical nature of the malady into a personality defect. I still struggle with compulsive behavior that is so similar to the drinking disorder that one sometimes cannot tell them apart.

There is always the temptation for us alcoholics to drink again.
    The study that shows the beneficial effects of a small amount daily is certainly one of them. The attractiveness of the bottled Wine Coolers on a hot summer day is another. I almost reached out for one of them a few years ago. If it was not for my training and preparation for the inevitable temptation, I would have succumb without a thought.

I applaud the article. And for those who are not afflicted with this disease it is well worth trying.

4. jamming

jamming Banned

Keep up the fight, bruzzes. One day at a time.

5. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

As jamming says, a day at a time and a step at a time. By cutting down other risk factors and eliminating alcohol completely, you have done much to better your health odds. Keep up the good fight. Let us draw strength from each other so we may face our struggles with renewed vigor.