1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't mount!!

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Sir Joseph, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

For some reason I can't mount my CDROM drive. I mounted my floppy, my zip and my other Windows drive. But it will not let me mount using any of the filetypes.

2. jamming

jamming Banned

Sounds like a personal issue and better to be addressed in the GJ Forum. ;)

3. Sir Joseph

That's why I'm not being too specific. :) All this talk about floppy, and hard. I wonder what "windows" can be translated into.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I gather this is a Linux question? If so, I can't help you.
    :(

If this is a windows question about recognition of your drive, I would look at the BIOS settings and make sure CD ROM is listed there AND enabled.

5. Sir Joseph

It is a Linux issue. I was so proud of myself. :) I got Linux running and Windows and my mail server was all setup.

BTW, I think the way I setup my box might be the best thing for a newbie.
    I have two hard drives. The primary IDE has Windows and the sec. has Linux. I have a floppy disk that has the kernel on it. If the floppy is in the drive, Linux starts, otherwise Windows starts.

6. Sir Joseph

Now, I can mount a DVD but of course I can't play it. I still can't mount an audio-CD.

7. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Rather than being specific with everything when you mount just type "mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom" or whatever. DVDs you can play with MPlayer, but you will need to find the illegal decss library to play them (don't you just love the MPAA?). You don't need to mount audio CDs, you just point the program to /dev/cdrom or whatever...

8. Sir Joseph

So I shouldn't use KDiskFree? I'll try the command line and 'll let you know.

Thanks!

9. Sir Joseph

If I do it using the cl, it tells me that I need to specify file type. Also, I tried just putting a CD into the drive and playing but "cdrom read or access error."
    The interesting thing is that my CDROM is called hdd not cdrom. Does that make a difference?

10. Techie2000

Nope no difference at all. BTW what distro and version are you using?

11. Sir Joseph

Mandrake, I think 7 or 8. I like this Linux thing. It takes some getting used to but once I stock up on software, I should be good to go.
    I found linux.tucows.com, any better sites to download?

Thanks

12. Techie2000

http://www.freshmeat.net/ has almost every linux program in existance. Also http://www.sourceforge.net/ has lots of Open Source software. Since you use Mandrake, http://www.rpmfind.net/ is a great place to find RPMs for programs specifically made for Mandrake. Also you can learn a lot by lurking in different channels @irc.freenode.net.

13. Sir Joseph

Thanks a bunch! And I still can't seem to get the audio CD to work.

14. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

Audio CD's

xmms (winamp clone GPL)

right click on the title bar open play list editor

lower left button nave to cdrom

Highlight the tracks and hit OK

hit play

15. Sir Joseph

I don't see that option. I can get to the file directory, but when I click on mnt/cdrom nothing happens, nor can I play with the default CD player.

16. fritzmp

You may need to edit your /etc/fstab but you shouldn't

post the line you find in /etc/fstab

less /etc/fstab

and highligt the line associated to your cd and past

17. fritzmp

This is what you should get with xmms and it should mount. I check marked the options.

18. Sir Joseph

My CDROM is not /dev/cdrom it is /dev/hdd

19. fritzmp

did you not enable SCSI support when you installed.

cdroms are SCSI emulated or they wont work.

I can't remember off the top of my head becouse I use grub, the location to lilo's script, but I bet dollers to doughnuts you don't load SCSI emulation at boot.

What disro is this, Mandrake?

20. Sir Joseph

I'm using Mandrake.

I would need SCSI support even though my CDROM is IDE? Is this a newbie question?!?!

I can use my CDROM as data, I can view the MP3 and even the DVD (I just can't play it.). I don't think I'm loading any SCSI stuff.

This is the line for my CDROM.
    /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850,ro 0 0