1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't find the Sonos topic... Alert: Sonos 1 and 3 on sale!

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Susan Addams, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Amazonian woman in a petite package!

This didn't require any brains to foresee. The Play 1 and Play 3 speakers are on sale at Amazon. Although I talked directly to Sonos customer support they wouldn't admit or didn't know:

My take: The Sonos 1 is being replaced by the Sonos One. It's the same audio but with Alexa built inside. For a few weeks both products sold for $200 but now the Sonos 1 is dropped to ... I think $180.

I have a pair of Sonos One in my bedroom and they pair up as a stereo pair, and my Playbar can handle delivering same or different content to living room and/or bedroom. It's quite easy to order up tunes to go to sleep by with my Alexa-aware Sonos One system in my bedroom, and even set a sleep time if I wish. However I'm quite content to just play an album and I'm asleep before the album is half done. You would of course want a sleep if you are listening to something on TuneIn or another radio streamer.

I predict they may go Alexa with the Sonos 3 speakers. The price diff on the 1 and the One was so trivial (probably due to the extra chip and mic costing practically nothing) that you can buy the Ones and just turn off Alexa if that disturbs you.

Last night I just said, "Alexa, play ZZ Ward 'The Storm' album in bedroom" and got to listen to my favorite blues-rock album as I fell asleep.

If you already have the Sonos surround system it's a great benefit to get a similar but bedroom size sound for about $400. Forget that clock radio too, I wake up: "Alexa, what time is it?" "Alexa, wake me up at 7:00 a.m." etc.

2. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Amazonian woman in a petite package!

I forgot to add Amazon's prices, and an idea:

Play 1 now $147.
    Play 3 now $247.

Here's an idea: Echo dot $30. Add Two Play 1's and your price is $324 for the same capability as a pair of Sonos Ones (Alexa built in) at $400. Save $76 and have the same capability as my bedroom system. — However there is a nice lack of clutter with clock radio gone and just the two beautiful white Sonos One speakers on my night stand. Add a cordless phone and a coaster for my water and I'm good to go. Wake in the middle of the night, I just ask Alexa what time it is, no need to look at blurry LEDs.

I just wish there was a way to add the Sonos 1s to my den TV without another Playbar.