1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I apologize

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ethics, Jan 9, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

For all of the downtime that everyone has been experiencing.

It is very frustrating to build membership based on quality and retain that membership, because it is priceless to any forum, and everytime I step away from the PC I get hit with outages.

I will seek alternate plans and already hired a team that will move everything for me to a more stable host. I can't see how we can do worse (not to jinx myself).

I am trying, folks, and I know you guys and gals have been VERY supportive and I appreciate it.

Just hang in there and don't give up on us yet.

Thanks.

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

You got us addicted now, Ethics.

3. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

Well, we put up with DSLR/BBR outages and slow downs on a continual basis, did we not?

I don't think you have too much to worry about in terms of your membership base -- a few outages here and there ain't gonna drive us away. :thumbsup:

4. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Everyone is quite aware you're doing the best you can, and your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Now stop groveling....It's embarassing ;)

5. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

Aw shucks, ethics... We know it isn't your fault!! :)

You have given of yourself freely, caringly and with concern to make this one of the best darned places on the web! You and the rest of the original members have welcomed us with open arms and given us a new place to call home.

I thank you... :thumbsup:

BDD... :{)

6. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

What BDD said!!! This place rocks! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

7. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

What mikepd said!

8. ethics

If you can't already tell, I am a perfectionist when relying on ISP's I pay to deliver a very straight forward and low maintainance service.

This forum has grown like crazy not only with members, not only with posts, but the QUALITY is mind boggling. I've never thought that *I* would be subscribing to topics on my board but that's what's happening now. I come across a thread, and it's like, "Oh wow, I need to read this and re-read it..." and that's what I do when things are more quiet. You will probably see a latent thread come alive with my delayed response because I want to give it my full attention that a thread deserves.

When the site is down I get hit double. I get hit as an admin AND a member. Hell, I want to know what new flash movie Domhain created, I want to know what new recipe is up for grabs, I want to know how Misu is doing with her mom. I want to know how Damonlab's (who's mom's funeral was today) wake went... you get the point. The spectrum and care is unbelievable.

It's more than just a forum on politics and serious discussions, although that was the shortsighted goal I saw before--thank goodness many of you steered me towards the forum you see before you today... Hell, we are not even close to being done either.

Thanks for a chance to vent this all out, also. I hate sounding mushy and stuff and some (I hope none but) will think this is a PR ploy. I really mean what I say and that's why I get a little frazzled when the site is down.

9. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

Crap ethics, even when you run your own servers and your at the beck and call of the net and your pipe provider. Don't worry I don't think anyone is going anyway. In fact I'll give you a emergency page that people can use to find out what's going on if you like. I don't have the banwith to provide the traffic this site generates, but a static page for info mite be the trick. Or if you email me of whats up I'll post it on my site.

10. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

Our photo gallery could be used for this purpose. There is a pic of the CypherCSS logo in there. Ethics could log in and edit the pic's caption with a message about what's going on, ETA of resolution, etc.

OR, I could set up an FTP account for Ethics to post a status page on my site.

I would offer more assistance with this, but I am largely out of the loop from 7am to 7pm during the week. (although I do sneak and surf a little on my lunch break when I don't work through it)

11. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Damned slacker.. Who gave you leave to be stepping away from the PC?

12. ethics

Re: Re: I apologize

LOL! You sound like my wife. ;)

Demi, Fritz, thanks guys and gals.

I think, since Demi has the photos anyway, perhaps hers will be the status page?

13. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

Ethics, if you need space or bandwith let me know.
    I have my spot until April '03 at Interland. I think I am allowed 10 GB a month so I can always host an emergency page.

14. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

Maybe you need a stunt double. Evey time you need to be away from the computer, he can step in and take your place. That way, you can fool the little gremlins into thinking you are still in the captains chair. ;)

15. fritzmp

Matter of fact I could give ethics admin rights on my postnuke site and he could add it to the news on the front page. It's my tech biz site.

edit:

No prob eather way we are here to help.

16. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Re: Re: I apologize

Having seen a pic of his wife, I'll volunteer. Gladly. :cool:

17. jamming

jamming Banned

This place is one of the new dimension of the internet that we are helping to bring to being. The True Virtual Community, is what we are doing here. In many of our parents days community could be the blocks around where you lived in a city, or the small town, or the suburb. People to an extent looked out for one another and everybodies business was minded by someone else.

The freedom of movement of the last century diminished some of this sense of community, along with larger populations in a smaller area. People lost this sense of community by becoming nomadic and chasing after jobs by moving to other cities, following the trail to a better job. I think what we are experiencing here and other places is the return to community, but not one from a location, but from a tie to similar beliefs.

When I am talking about is not beliefs as in right versus left, but on other specific things we value. We all value intelligent conversations, the open exchange of ideas, supporting people in their time of need, and of a level of courtesy and humor. Some people will join and eventually leave the forum as their values change or as they find that their values may not be held to by the others here, but that's OK and even healthy. We could in many ways run this like a small town in reality with a town council and hired city administration, such as Ethics being the City/Forum Manager.

What I would hope is, that as we value these things that it becomes a place for the younger of us that are entering the internet as well. I think we could have a Private Forum for the 17 and under crowd that would be moderated, for the kids we would have to figure out a way for that forum to get confirmation of the persons posting age is in that catagory. This would provide the younger members to their own moderated forum where they could talk about things amongst themselves and maybe a moderated forum for those 55 and older. These would be in addition to those Forums we have now.

What I don't want us to practice is any greater ageism, than three forums of Youth, Adult, and Senior. Those would be general forums like Breaking News and Rick's. We need to develop a vision for our new community and put into place some ways of taking some of the burdens off of ethics, not that he minds. We could set an example for other communities to form on similar principles. We are riding the edge of the future, lets make an effort to make it a future we would like to be a part of.

18. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

An absolute excellent idea!! :thumbsup:

19. ethics

Jim, that was one hell of a post. Congrats for the first nomination to PoM. I loved your analogy of the community in the neighborhoods. Although I didn't grow up here, this was apparent through out my childhood. People agree, disagreed, argued, even got pissed at each other. Only to have a game of dominoes or perhaps a cool drink a day later.

20. fritzmp

Good points and good ideas jamming.