1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am very sad :(

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by midranger4, Dec 16, 2002.

1. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I have been with my employer over ten years now. Upon starting my job here I was welcomed by a number of very wonderful people. Among these people were a *couple* that eventually married and moved onto other jobs. Their names are Mike and Sandy. I have had casual contact with both of these fine people since their departure.

When I arrived at work this morning I was given some devastating news. Sandy passed away this weekend unexpectedly. From what I have been told it appears she succumbed to blood poisoning. Sandy was a very talented woman with personality traits that I very much admired and this news came as quite a shock to me.

From what I'm hearing Sandy exhibited no symptoms indicating a serious illness of any sort. Actually she attended an office party Friday night and was feeling fine and Sunday morning she passed.

The only indication we're getting is that Sandy was on antibiotics for a tooth infection and finished a ten day prescription about two weeks ago.

Web MD doesn't have too much info for me to go on at this point as portions of their site are down so I am wondering if anyone knows what the common causes of blood poisoning are.

Could the previous tooth infection be the cause of Sandy's tragic death?

I am literally in shock and deeply saddened by these events.

Looking for an explanation for events like this is fruitless I know but I am just trying to figure out how someone's life can be extinguished so quickly and with no warning in this manner.

2. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Sweetness and Light

I dunno, but I've never had a tooth infection- it's not flesh??
    I've had a gum infection- a rotten tooth typically gets yanked or drilled. I've never heard of a tooth infection. Maybe she hada rotten tooth that was rotting under the gums and was leaking blood poison and it killed her that way. A rotten tooth does not defy radar however, and any dentist would not have merely prescribed antibiotics for one, so I am puzzled as well.

I feel for you, and I understand why you must figure out what happened. I hope you find your answers.

3. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Well today brings more news, and this is getting more surreal every minute.

The company president rounded everyone up this morning and announced that anyone in attendance at the party last Friday night should contact their doctor as the preliminary indications are that Sandy has tested positive for bacterial meningitis. Everyone already shaken by Sandy's passing are now concerned for their own health as well.

The cause of Sandy's bacterial meningitis is still not known but they keep talking about that damn tooth problem and it is leading suspect from what I'm hearing.

All this confusion is delaying the services as well and Mike is an absolute wreck, and understandably so :(

It is times like this when I would like to have a little one on one conversation with the almighty.

4. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

An open infection, particularly in the mouth, is highly susceptible to becoming further infected.

It is a bit odd, though, that she was on antibiotics and still became infected with the bacterial form of meningitis.

5. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Stevent,

Sandy had finished her antibiotic approximately ten days prior to all of this.

So it appears the infection must have still been present even after finishing her antibiotic. My guess is it progressed from there?

I thought bacterial meningitis had to be *passed* from person to person so I'm still rather confused.

6. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I'm sorry about your loss midranger.

7. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Please accept my condolences, too, midranger, but I hope you've already seen your doctor.
    Don't wait.

8. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I was not in attendance at the after work get toghether this past Friday but I thank you for your concern Joseftu.

In retrospect I wish I were there.

Thanks for your thoughts and condolonces folks, they are greatly appreciated.

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I know I am late to this thread but I'd like to wish her a better place a greater place.

10. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Sincerest condolences, midranger.

11. limeygit

limeygit Assume Sarcasm...

This may be unrelated, but I will throw it out there.
    Anytime I visit the dentist I have to take penicillin, because I have a heart condition that means there is always some blood in my heart that is not pumped out, as such if infected blood was to happen to pool, from diseased gums etc, then it could kill me.
    Really scary that in theory, however remote, a tooth cleaning could kill you...

12. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Same here, but mine is because I have titanium in my back. It can attract anitbiotics so I have to take four pills the day before a dental visit.

13. limeygit

limeygit Assume Sarcasm...

Good to hear you can still attract something Shiny ;)

14. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I have gone from sad to PISSED

http://www.nbc10.com/news/1845532/detail.html

Son of a bitches. I hope Mike sues there BALLS off.

This link is not the entire story. Sandy was at the same hospital and LEFT out of disgust after waiting 3 hours. The second trip in they waited 4 hours as the story describes.

15. IamZed

IamZed ...

Please be calm. I know you can not but focus on it. I got pissed last week and suffered from my own anger. I understand this will make you as mad as you have ever been. There is a dangerous level of madness that just wont abate of its own free will but will consume you if you dont beat it down hard.
    When I read your last post I felt anger in my heart. I hope you can keep us up to date with YOU as you go thru this.

16. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Viewing is tomorrow. I will not let my anger with a screwed up health system impact the great level of respect I have for Sandy and Mike. It just is so repulsive to me to see people die needlessly because of bureaucratic bumbling.

Sandy could have been saved had she been seen in a timely manner :(

Thanks for the pointer though, I will be sure to keep a lid on my disgust until after the services. THEN I will write an editorial to the local paper !

I will be sure to link GA to it when it gets published.

17. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Mid, I hope they sue as well.

18. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Whoa midranger, I'm sorry you lost your friend over a medical screw up - I lost my grandmother over a screw up in the hospital, so I can relate to the anger you're feeling right now.

Be strong for your friend who just lost his wife over this - he's going to need good friends right now. When he's ready to rage and sue, be there with him. Be his attack dog if he needs you to be. But don't be angery - anger is a bad thing, it'll only hurt you.

Sorry for your loss, and my condolences to the family :(

19. Allene

Allene Registered User

Midranger,

I'm so sorry about your friend.

Allene

20. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

Mid,
    Please heed the advice from many here.
    Support your friend, now. Be calm. Be the rock that he can depend on, in this time of grief.

Then, later, when you can breath again...
    Sue the shit out of those morons.

Regards,