1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am Guilty!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by bruzzes, Dec 21, 2002.

1. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

It is time once again to remind people of this function.
    I, myself, am guilty of non-compliance.
    Each time I remember to use this feature, it slowly fades from memory and hence this reminder to myself and others.

I would put a sticky at the top of each Forum
    to notify members of the rate button at the bottom of each post.

I am encouraging members to use that function, when they find a thoughtful post, an entertaining post or for a particularly clever retort.

It gives the postee 1 dollar.

I am somewhat amazed that only one person has broken the $1000 mark. I do know some have already used $500 on the italic feature. It has been 2 1/2 months since the 1st influx of people here.

At this rate, the $3000 feature will take another 2 months for some to reach that mark for a total of almost 1/2 year.

2. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Thumbs up to you Bruzzes ;)

I'm guilty of this as well to a large extent.

I am conditioned to voice my agreement or disagreement with positions in the form of a post.

I will however try to make it a point to go back and rate the motivating post(s) one way or the other in the future.

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Alas, I seem to have some problem with javascript, and the rate button does not work fo me. Otherwise I would do a lot of rating. :)

4. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

I thought your problem was fixed Bob?
    If not, someone needs to address that issue.
    The CSS style did not work for you?

5. dmdvt

dmdvt Guest

IMHO it does not sound like a site issue. It sounds to me like JAVA script issues on your machine. Of course I don't know if anyone else is having this problem.
    It would seem to me if it was a site issue the rate button would not work for anyone.
    I am using CSS style and the rate button works here.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

6. wafen

wafen Member

I'm guilty of not knowing what the heck it was for.:)

7. Robert Harris

I thiink it is not a site issue, for the reasons mentioned. It is specific to my machine. I have some problems with other sites where javascript does not work. I think I am going to have to reinstall, or maybe install a different version. I will check at the Compuserve Netscape forum -- I think I read there a while back that the one of the sysops there uninstalled the version that comes with Netscape v. 6 and reinstalled an earlier version because of similar problems.

PITA. Why doesn't everything work the wwy it is supposed to? :)

8. dmdvt

dmdvt Guest

Because if it did the average Joe would not be able to afford one of these blasted machines.

9. wafen

wafen Member

It may be a site thing too.
    I tried to rate bruzzes' post and when it came up I had to log in even though I was already.
    As soon as I approved it it wanted me to log in again.
    It may be the greyscale theme.

10. Robert Harris

Yeah, but I get annoyed when a later version of software does not work as well as an earlier version.

Of course if I had my way we still would be using DOS pprograms. Had all software development not stopped for it I suspect I still would be using it. :)

11. dmdvt

dmdvt Guest

I felt the same way when windows 3.0 was released. But we had to move along with the technology when windows took off.
    I did not need little pictures to help me along (taking up needed hard drive space and RAM). Oh well.

12. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

13. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

It's your ZAP or some other security set on your pc, wafen. I know this because I had the same thing happen until I tinkered with ZAP.

14. dmdvt

dmdvt Guest

15. wafen

wafen Member

I have ZA free, so I can't tinker too much.
    Is there a way to tell you rated someone?
    It was no big deal to log in when I did it, I just can't tell if it worked.

16. Robert Harris

Can't go to an earlier Netscape. Some sites work only with ver. 6 now. Have to get the last version of Java, I think.

17. ethics

Hit the rate button, rate someone, and then hit rate button again and you should see this: (wafen instead of ethics, of course):

18. Domh

Domh Full Member

The low usage of the rate feature is due to an intrinsic usability problem.

The 'approve' or 'disapprove' buttons need to be where the rate button is, and the 'you (dis)approved! thanks!' popup has to timeout to close.

I also think that some people, myself amongst them, might prefer a system where approvals show somewhere near the post, similar to the original thumbs system at dslr.

I for one get a real kick out of seeing that folks liked my post, and a sense of pride when I know that others are seeing that approval as well. When I know that others are givng my post the stink rating, and I know that others see that as well, It would give me all the more reason to think my posts through and try harder to write great posts!

By the way, yes, im one of those obnoxious professional web usability guys - gotta pay the rent somehow!

;)

19. wafen

wafen Member

This is what I get when I hit it the second time.:)

20. ethics

That's way off, Waf, not sure what your problem is there... Sorry dude, it should not take you to the store. :)