1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am a Veteran

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ShinyTop, Nov 11, 2017.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I am a veteran. I sincerely mean it when I say I appreciate all my friends and relatives who thank me for my service on Veteran’s Day or any other day. But on this Veteran’s day let me share with you what this vet and most vets want most from the people of this country.

We want elected leaders who value our service enough to send us to battle only after every attempt has been made for peace. We want elected leaders who feel the loss and pain of those who do not return or who return wounded in body or mind.

We want a defense industry who see their duty to equip us with the best weapons possible as a higher cause than the bottom line. We want elected officials who agree with the higher duty and do not see the equipping of our service members as make work programs for their state or district.

For those hurt in the service of their country we want a treatment system that is as quick to respond as the system was when we said we wanted to join.

We want elected officials who come together to solve our country’s problems instead of standing on opposite sides of the aisle sticking their tongues out at each other. We want elected officials who serve with the same honor they ask of us.

We enlisted with the knowledge we could be put in harm’s way. But let the way home be clearly defined. Don’t let the way home become endless occupation of countries who do not want or appreciate our presence.

Let our service stand for the highest ideals of our country, not as a sound bite on the evening news or a politician’s empty campaign promise.
    cdw, Susan Addams, dsl987 and 5 others like this.
  2. Allene

Allene Registered User

Shiny, I think this is the best post you've ever made on GA.
    Susan Addams and dsl987 like this.
  3. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

I couldn't have put it better myself.

Biker, I need a 1,000x Like button for this OP.
    dsl987 likes this.
  4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Great post.
  5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

MemphisMark likes this.
  6. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Left Coast Fiscal Conservative

Shiny, two things:

1. Thank you for your service to America and for your part in protecting our lives and our freedom.

2. Everything else in your OP, all of it, that is what every true American wants. That is what I want.

It extremely angers me the way that our VA system has treated veterans. I'm pretty sure some improvements have been made, but it will never be enough until the men and women who served America are treated with the respect and attention they deserve.

Serving in our military is the greatest sacrifice an American can make. Many are lucky and return with just an experience. The unlucky ones return with minor or major medical problems up to and including total incapacitation. I've often thought that the veterans who returned in flag draped caskets were luckier than some who returned alive, disabled. It makes me cry how our government has mistreated these veterans who need our help but are not getting it. As far as I'm concerned anything other than fixing the problem right this instant is not good enough for me.

One idea I have heard discussed I think would help a lot, but I'll expand on it. Every veteran should be handed a medical "insurance" ID card that is good for 100% paid treatment at any medical facility or doctor in the nation. The VA system's role in medical care should be immediately terminated except for those facilities which provide exceptional services not available in the civilian sector.

And finally, just a comment on the sad state of our political system. I have totally had it with politicians both Democrats and Republicans who have placed their partisan interests ahead of the well being of America and against the interests of Americans. I think it is time to purge the system of politicians who place their party affiliation ahead of the American citizens who they are supposed to be representing. Throw the bums out and replace them with politicians who place America and Americans ahead of their party affiliation.

And thank you Shiny for serving our country. I'm proud of you and of your fellow veterans. Thank you so much!
    Allene likes this.
  7. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

I have this song on my playlist. It gets played often. My eyes leak whenever it plays.