1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I, a Democrat applaud a Republican

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by btdude, Dec 12, 2002.

1. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

Thank you, Mr. Bush. I cannot agree to all of what you do, but I believe that you have set out to correct a bad wrong.

BUSH Blasts LOTT

2. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Good for him, but why does this have to be about politics?

3. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

Only political from 1 persepctive, steven. A Republican had to be the one to say Lott did a bad thing. If it came from a Democrat, it would have been seen as just another party to party spat, and dirt slinging issue. That's the only reason for THIS thread's purpose. LOL

4. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I'll grant you that the more strident, liberal elements (*coughJesseJacksoncough*) will probably be ignored. That only illustrates the effect of "crying wolf" too often, though.

I think people of conscience, regardless of their political affiliation, can recognize Lott's comments for what they are.

All that, by way of reluctantly conceding that Republicans generally have a more difficult time displaying support for racial equality....ouch, that hurt! ;)

5. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I agree with you , btdude, but I am not nearly as critical of republicans as you are. In fact, I am still registered as one! ;)

I look at it this way. No matter how Bush truly feels about Lott's statements, he had no choice but to condemn him for making them. Bush is already regarded poorly by most blacks. By not making a statement about it, they would blame him later on for it. And I have a feeling that many will just say that he only said it because he needs to save face with blacks. He's pretty much damned if he does and damned if he doesn't anymore.

This reminds me of a fascinating story on Dateline(or maybe 20/20?) about a few newer development areas in the Chicago area. It seems as though, over time, the community segregated itself! Well-to-do black people tended to move to one section, and well-to-do white people tended to move to another. There was no evidence of encouraging people to move to one area over the other; it just happened on its own. The story was about how it happened and whether or not something should be done about it. It was very interesting.

6. jamming

jamming Banned

Lott admitted he did a bad thing and apologized for it. Some blacks wanted a black only dormitory on a public college campus about five years ago. They didn't want to deal with whites when at "Home". Some blacks object to the desegregation of historic black public colleges. But that's OK because they are oppressed, according to some here, but let someone not want to share their fraternity (a private organization) then that is a major problem.

7. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Well, Lott needs to step down, and this is coming from a moderate conservative.

Its idiots like him who give real conservatism a bad name.

Conservatism isn't about racism, gay hatred, gun toting pickup drivers. Conservatism in my view is about individual responsibility, achievement based workforce, small government, family values.

8. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Couldn't agree more here.

I don't care for the backpeddling or other crap, and perhaps this is unfair in face of the others Jim mentioned but come on now... Enough is enough, step down and let someone else, someone with more integrity, carry the torch.