1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I’m Sorry I Didn’t Respond to Your Email, My Husband Coughed to Death Two Years Ago

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Aug 20, 2015.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

A widow writes: "
    I’m Sorry I Didn’t Respond to Your Email, My Husband Coughed to Death Two Years Ago — Personal Growth — Medium

2. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

After reading her blog, I have to say she is an incredible asshole. Steve probably died to just exit the relationship.

3. Arc

Arc Full Member

Your opinion does seem to have some merit. I hope that she doesn't have kids. Oh, well maybe Steve wasn't the greatest and the type that they deserved each other. If not, then Steve should gone to the store for some milk one day and never come back. It's usually best.

I also noticed that the post was from the website of an entity named "Medium." I doubt based upon this one time experience reading something from their site that I'll be back.

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Well, she does work at NPR. :yellowlaugh:

Piobaireachd likes this.
  5. ethics

There was a reason why I didn't put a comment. I felt a bit... off... by her reaction and her written word. Yes, time has passed but this is not true love to me, it's not even every day street love.

I would say it reminded me too much of Didion's memoir on her late husband. To wit and this is me writing:

Another problem is that you felt nothing for John (her Husband). He might have been her friend for 40 years and not her husband. She doesn't describe him in a loving light at all, and forget about past romantics. The whole family just seems disjointed. I mean, going out to the trendy restaurants and theatre is not the most romantic thing couples do and that's all Didion remembers doing with her Hubby. Going to this place, staying at Malibu, etc... Felt like someone who thought they were on top of the world only to be blindsided with the real life?

6. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Sarah and I saw him at least twice, once while they were still working on him, and once after they’d cleaned him up. As they led me out of the ER, I told the nurse that I was conflicted about whether or not I should take a photo of his body. She told me I’d see him again, at the funeral, and that I should just focus on sleeping and eating. And then I said “I can’t believe it, he was such a good husband.”

And she said, “Yeah, but he did a shitty thing today.”

And that was the first time I laughed after Steve died.

So, like, basically 30 minutes after he died, she was joking about him being a dick for dying. Yeah.

I'm not impressed at all. Prototypical spoiled American bitch, if you ask me. She just doesn't hide it.

ethics likes this.
  7. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

My dad dropped dead of a widowmaker heart attack. Ten minutes after he was pronounced, Mom was screaming at him about how pissed she was at him for dying first.

/shrug

Grief is different for everyone.

8. Greg

Greg Full Member

I'd rather pass last. I can deal with anger better than I can deal with not breathing.

9. ethics

Was she laughing about it?

10. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

No, she was pissed at him. Angry. But they had been married for 35 years when he died. She loved him dearly. But she hated his guts right then.

My brother and I cracked a couple of morbid jokes after mom died.

Grief is an individual thing, and humor can be a powerful support in times like that.