1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Husband and Wife could command same battalions

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by saber11, Jan 31, 2003.

1. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

Copied from www.foxnews.com

"FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. They met during military flight training, were married a year later, and during their 16 years together, rose through the Army ranks while raising a daughter.

Lt. Col. Laura Richardson flies Black Hawk helicopters. Her husband, Lt. Col. Jim Richardson, flies Apaches.

Nothing special, the couple insists.

"It's not new to us," Laura Richardson says.

But the Richardsons may soon make Army history.

If deployed to Iraq, the couple would be the first husband and wife to command battalions in the same brigade task force. Laura Richardson commands the 5th Battalion of the 101st Airborne Division's Aviation Brigade; her husband commands the brigade's 3rd Battalion."

I knew at some time this would come up. I'm not sure how much impact this would have, but I can only imagine it would cause more apprehension if they were in the same unit. I can only imagine a husband watching his wife get shot down, or her not wanting him to get into combat. I really don't know. Seems to be a whole new can of worms.

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

They wouldn't be allowed to be in the same "chain of command". Military realizes there's going to be cases like this, but they're pretty adamant about a perception of "favoritism".

If the both of them have risen this far in the ranks, both are most likely very professional and although realize the risks the other is taking, also know that it's part of the job.

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Yeah, it's not a big rumble. They're in separate battalions, reporting to the same brigade commander. The husband's mission is combat, the wife's mission is combat support.

Now I'd be concerned if one of them was in command of the 6-101, since that battalion was UH-1 Huey-pure last time I checked. :)

SM

4. EricaZ98

EricaZ98 Veteran Member

No big deal if you ask me. My husband and I were in the same unit. Hell we were in the same platoon. We served over in Saudi together for 8mths.
    When you marry within the military you already know the chnaces of you and/or your spouse being deployed and maybe taken down. Its a part of military life