1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hunting Nazi war criminals: Latvia

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Robert Harris, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

The hunt continues, after all these years, with governments having to be prodded to do anything. It won't be long before all of the murderers die of natural causes, though, and it can end..

Excerpts:

Saturday, 18 January, 2003, 00:46 GMT

Nazi hunters advertise in Latvia

A Latvian newspaper has published advertisements offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the trial and conviction of Nazi war criminals.

The advertisements are part of a campaign called "Operation Last Chance" launched by the Los Angeles-based Simon Wiesenthal Center, which hunts Nazi criminals.

About 80,000 Jews were killed by the Nazis and local collaborators in Latvia between 1941 and 1944. Thousands of Jews from other European countries were also sent to Latvia for execution.

But Latvia has not prosecuted any Nazi suspects since it regained independence in 1991.

Of Latvia's 95,000 pre-war Jewish population, barely 4,000 survived the Holocaust.

More: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2670791.stm

2. IamZed

IamZed ...

Give it a break. If these people have evaded capture this many years, let them die. Unless one is actively continuing that that they did wrong, let them die. All these guys have to be in their 90s by now.
    While Im on the subject, who actually believes there are still Viet Nam prisoners of war? Give it a break.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I believe in stature of limitations on this. After 80+ years of age for these scum, fuck em. There's another judgement, that's more important, that's waiting for them.

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

On one hand, yes, 60+ years is long enough. Let it lie.
    But on the other hand, most juristictions don't have a statute of limitations on murder, so why should this be any different?

It's a tough call. Personally, I think it's time to put it to rest and get on with what's important.

5. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

In most jurisdictions there is no statute of limitations for murder. I have mixed feelings about whether it is worth the trouble to go after these guys, though. They are, as you both say, very old and will die soon anyway, and there probably are not too mkany of them left these days. But I also think it serves as a reminder to those practicing the same ssorts of things now in other places that they may not get away unpunished, even if it takes a long time.

6. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

I for one would have let it go by now, but completely understand why some people still can't. If they have the time, money and inclination, more power to 'em.

7. IamZed

IamZed ...

When the initial column of targets die of old age this will not stop. For some reason we will be told the fight must go on.

8. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

What reason could that be? Who are they gonna hunt down if their all dead?