1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hunting a Bluetooth dongle

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by cmhbob, Dec 2, 2014.

1. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Had a Motorola HX550 bluetooth headset for my phone. Washed it. [​IMG]

Replaced the Motorola with an LG Tone Pro BT headset. Very nice. Love the sound from my phone. Now I want to use them with my Toshiba laptop, which does not have Bluetooth built in. I have 2 USB ports available.

I'm hunting a dongle that will let me use the LGs for the laptop, and might even allow me to use them for Skype purposes. The ones I've found seem to be designed to stream music to another device though, and not headsets. Seems like such a thing should be possible, though. Surely I'm not the first person to want to do this. Just can't find what I'm looking for.

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

3. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

Generally, a BT device and dongle are paired by firmware at the factory. This is so you don't get someone else's data (or they yours) if you are close by.

Check with LG first, to see if your device can support a dongle, if they sell it and what BT protocol it uses. A first level CSR probably can't help with that. Ask to be escalated or contact via email.

4. eakes

eakes Registered User

5. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member