1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hundreds of Muslims rounded up in Southern California

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Coot, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

oops...bad INS

This will be out on CNN in a bit. Thousands of legal immigrants from Iran, Syria, Lebannon and Iraq have been held since yesterday in the federal building in downtown LA. They were told to report to answer questions and have their papers checked. They've been handcuffed and held as the INS had nowhere near the people available to process them.

They are all males aged 16 and up. While I concur with the intent of documenting and verifying the status of these people, this is just plain wrong. There's a demonstration getting underway as I write and CNN should have something up on this in a bit.

2. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

You know, it's only a hop, skip, jump away from putting them in detainment camps, like WW2 with Japanese Americans...

WTF were they thinking??? That this would go unnoticed?

3. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Dumb. Stupid. Dumb. Did I mention it was DUMB AND STUPID?

If you knew beforehand you were going to process that many people, why the hell did you not bring in enough equipment and manpower to do it in a reasonable timeframe.

Particularly when these are legal immigrants in the first place?

Things like this just make us look that much worse around the world and feed right into those who wish to make us look as bad as possible.

DUMB. STUPID. DUMB.

Still have not seen anything on CNN, BTW. 4:55PM EST 12/18

4. Coot

Our draftsman is translating off the local Farsi station in Simi Valley. The demonstrations start at 3:00 pacific with CNN to be on scene. Reporting should begin sometime after that.

5. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

Interesting. Just received this about 1/2 hour ago in an e-mail from the International Office where I work. Fortunately I'm Canadian so I don't have to register, but clearly someone fucked up since the deadline for Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan and Syria was two days ago!

For more information, go to the INS website at http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/index.htm

6. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Reminiscent of the Palmer raids. We've done things like this before.

"In the spring of 1919, A. Mitchell Palmer became attorney general of the United States under President Woodrow Wilson. Shortly after his appointment, Palmer's house was damaged by a bomb. More bombs exploded in a number of American cities. Palmer blamed these bombings on communists, anarchists, and other political radicals. Many Americans called these people "reds," after the color of the Russian communist flag."

"Working with Bureau of Immigration officials, Palmer decided to launch a massive round-up of aliens (non-U.S. citizens) suspected of having revolutionary views. The purpose of these "Red Raids" was to arrest and deport so-called dangerous foreigners before they could bring about a violent revolution in America. However, during and after the raids, government agents violated virtually every element of "due process of law" mentioned in the Constitution."

This is a small bit taakebn from:
    http://www.crf-usa.org/terror/PalmerRedRaids.htm

7. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

This is highly stupid. Does anyone involved in this have a brain? A mind is a terrible thing to waste, so they should at least be sharing one.

SM

8. Robert Harris

I don't know who is running INS these days, but I suspect that Asscroft and his minions were involved in the planning. In which case brains were definitely not in great abundance as decisions were made.

9. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

Misu,

"You know, it's only a hop, skip, jump away from putting them in detainment camps, like WW2 with Japanese Americans..."

Could you tell me just what would happen if OBL and his mates get lucky and set off a nuke in NY harbour. Say about 200,000+ dead? How about 2 nukes, three? four? FIVE??

Will the USA make the Japanese-American episode look like a picnic? Will the American people be demanding that they be rounded up? Will they be asking why the INS did not do something before the event?

On with the morality debate, OBL thinks it is all a great joke.

John.

10. mike

mike mesmerized

In regards to "homeland security"--at what point is enough, enough? Civil lberties are being traded for the guise of security.

11. IamZed

IamZed ...

Why only in one location? Did they get a tit and decide to round up all the usual subjects and just to be safe everyone else?

12. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

One thing is to require people who are from certain countries on a visitor's or student visa to register. That's fine. It's quite another to HANDCUFF them, as if they were under arrest, and keep them handcuffed until they are processed - which is at the leisure of the INS, meaning an indefinate amounf of time. False imprisonment is against the law - the reason is being done doesn't justify that it's being done.

We can't allow fear to make us do stupid things and punish people who are innocent. Do I believe there are terrorist cells working in this country? Absolutely. Do I believe they're waiting for instructions. Yes. Do I believe that everyone from specific nationalities should be rounded up like cattle and put under arrest while INS takes it's time to process them? No.

You know, soon after the attacks, stupid people went around killing and beating up middle eastern-looking people. Out of anger and out of fear. The fact that 19 middle eastern people attacked our country in the way they did doesn't justify the beatings and the deaths of innocent people. Level heads must prevail - otherwise we're doomed.

13. Robert Harris

John:

Nobody is duggesting that these people should not be looked over, have papers checked, etc. But if INS is going to do it they should plan on how to do it -- not just call loads of people in and then not be able to process them, and say, "Well we screwed up. So just lock them up until we figure out what to do with them." I don't think that enhances security.

And it sure does not give me a sense that those responsible for security know what they are doing.

14. jamming

jamming Banned

INS is about to be controlled by former Governor Rich of PA, the Secretary of Homeland Security, the details for offices have just been submitted to a short list of office space in the DC area. As of Jan 24th next year there will be no more INS. The office involved in this in LA, is staffed by civil servants trying to do there job.

They had no idea of the amount of people they were calling in as during the Clinton Adminstration the requirement for even keeping numerical count by nation was dropped. They called these people in to get there before the date and had no idea the last days would be so many people. They are required by law to detain them until their papers are checked and found to be in order.

Let me say one thing that so many put this off to the last minute that they too are responsible for their situation. It is like waiting for the last few days to shop before Christmas and then complaining about the lines.

15. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

I remember a post Jedi made awhile back where he was talking about port security or lack thereof. He mentioned that a propane carrier ship if exploded in a harbor would have the same blast effect as a small nuclear bomb. Something to ponder.

Regardless, if you are going to do something like what INS is doing, be prepared with a game plan. Common sense.

16. Coot

The local news was stating that they were only detaining people who had something amiss with their papers...sooo, I went down to the demonstration on my way home and talked to some of the folks there.

First off, let me say that there are some damned beautiful persian women in these parts ;)

While I can only report what I was told, most everyone I talked to who had family or friends still in the Federal Building were pretty adamant that their folks being detained did not have expired visas or other problems with their papers and that the INS just can't get it right.

I did find out that people that reported in who had legal counsel with them were in and out.

All in all, it just gives credence to my longheld suspicions that the INS is nothing more than one big bureaucratic bunghole.

17. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Uhm, don't let this secret out please. It's the only damn hope I have! ;)

I have no sympathy to INS and agree with everyone thus far. What I went through TWICE to just get in to this country LEGALLY is a pathetic tribute as to why that whole INS has to be revamped and split in to two. One to process legals, and one to enforce the law.

18. limeygit

limeygit Assume Sarcasm...

I guarantee I can beat any horror story you have...

19. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Sweetness and Light

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Hundreds of Iranian and other Middle East citizens were in southern California jails on Wednesday after coming forward to comply with a new rule to register with immigration authorities only to wind up handcuffed and behind bars.

Shocked and frustrated Islamic and immigrant groups estimate that more than 500 people have been arrested in Los Angeles, neighboring Orange County and San Diego in the past three days under a new nationwide anti-terrorism program. Some unconfirmed reports put the figure as high as 1,000.

The arrests sparked a demonstration by hundreds of Iranians outside a Los Angeles immigration office. The protesters carried banners saying "What's next? Concentration camps?" and "What happened to liberty and justice?."

I am wondering what they were not in compliance with, and if they knew what they weren't in compliance with.

I am trying to understand what they are attempting to accomplish or if it is yet another botched government process implemented out of political pressures.

found on here

20. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Sharon, they were arrested and put in jails because the IRS didn't have enough man power to process everyone that showed up.

So instead of sending them back home with an appointment time, they opted to handcuff them and hold them until they could be processed. They had to put them somewhere, so they decided JAIL was as good a place as anywhere else.

There's a thread somewhere on here about this.