1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Human Rights Joke of the Day

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Robert Harris, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

This does not call for a comment, just laughter.

Libya Elected to Chair U.N. Human Rights Body
    By REUTERS

Filed at 1:11 p.m. ET

GENEVA (Reuters) - Libya, under fire for years from human rights activists, was overwhelmingly elected Monday to chair the top United Nations' rights body after the United States broke with tradition and forced a vote.

The North African country ruled by Muammar Gaddafi will preside at the March 17-April 25 session of the U.N. Human Rights Commission which meets annually to survey the rights situation around the world.

The Libyan candidate, diplomat and former journalist Najat al-Hajjaji, won 33 votes in a secret ballot of the 53-country Commission, with 17 states abstaining and three voting no -- apparently including the United States.

More at: http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/news/news-rights-commission.html

2. martissimo

martissimo Veteran Member

and in other breaking news the UN will soon elect North Korea to head their new "Nuclear Non-Proliferation Committee" ;)

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Sure. Why not. On the theory of "It takes a thief to catrch a thief" who else would be better at finding the bad guys? :)

4. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

And we're supposed to send how much to the UN every year???

5. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

6. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

I suggest Iraq should send a representative to co-chair both Committees. ;)

This move is supposed to increase my respect for the UN exactly how?

7. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

The United Nations organization has become a joke. It's long past time for them to pack up their politically correct asses and leave New York City.

8. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

The big misconception about the United Nations is that it's supposed to be a governing body. It's not. It's a diplomacy body.

I agree, I think it's outlived its purposes, because people try to control the United States through the United Nations. We don't have to run everything we do through the UN before getting approval. If the UN is being run by Libyans and Chinese, and chaired by an appeasement artist, we're supposed to blindly follow?

I don't think so.

This is yet another example of UN ineptness. And these are the guys inspecting Iraq. Yeah. Inmates running the asylum.

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Do I even need to reply here?

Lybia? UN?

What pathetic crap the UN has become.

10. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

<b><i>Breaking Story!!!</i></b>
    The United Nations announces that Count Dracula has just been named to head the international Red Cross!

What's sad is that only three countries voted against him, two of which were the U.S. and Canada (not sure of the third, maybe Australia?). I heard all of the European countries, abstained. What the hell is going on with that BS???