1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How will you vote tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Nov 4, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

WSJ has a special article on the Congressional elections tomorrow. Here are two scenarios:

The likely impact on business and the economy of the three possible outcomes of tomorrow's congressional elections:

Republicans control House and Senate

• Parts of President Bush's tax cuts made permanent.
    • Drive for 'tax reform.'
    • Defense spending grows.
    • Drug industry-friendly Medicare-prescription benefit advances.
    Democrats control House and Senate
    • Tax cuts and rebates for workers.
    • Expansion of unemployment benefits.
    • Further crackdowns on corporate excess and subsidies.
    • More spending on education, training, homeland security.
    Divided control of Congress

• More spending as each party pursues its priorities.
    • Stalemate over most tax cuts.
    Am I the only one who views the Democratic controlled Congress as more appealing than other options?

2. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I would hardly think you will be the only one, but I disagree that a Democratic controlled Congress is more appealing.

3. ethics

WSJ is the last paper that would laud Democratic party. Just thought it was pretty on the line with reporting this.

4. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Agreed.

IMHO though, the following two things are very important and would be beneficial to our economy.

• Parts of President Bush's tax cuts made permanent.

Drive for 'tax reform.'

I also don't believe that the Democrats are going to have tax cuts for anyone unless they repeal the previous tax cut that President Bush instituted. Even then, the "new" tax cut they would give us wouldn't be as large so overall it would be a net increase in taxes.

5. ethics

I tend to agree with you, Gregg. I guess the most important aspect of this election is who will provide extra safety net to the unemployed?

6. jamming

jamming Banned

My plan for voting tomorrow, I plan to vote early and often. ;)

7. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

I vote for candidates because of their standings on issues, regardless of their party affiliations.

There are many priorities and pressing needs in this country, and I have seen only a few candidates who are addressing them.

I will cast my vote on 5 November.

8. drslash

drslash It's all about the beer

I will be voting for more Republicans than Democrats on my ballot.

IMO the most important issue is homeland security. I believe the President should have the power to fire ineffective workers, while Tom Daschle thinks the President shouldn't have this power. If the Democrats maintain working control of the Senate, I doubt their Homeland Security Bill will give the President this power.

9. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I'd take exception to the WSJ contention that the Dems would cut taxes for workers...they don't cut taxes for anyone or anything ;)

10. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Since when has it been the dems who cut taxes? All they do is take from the "rich" (a.k.a.: me even though I am not really rich) and give to the poor(a.k.a.: the lady next door to me who is too lazy to work so she gets paid to watch soap operas all day).

More money spent on education? Bleh! Bill Clinton increased spending, and our scores went down anyway.

MOTHER FUCKING NEWSFLASH TO DEMS: Money alone does not solve problems!

^^^ Why is this so hard to understand? ^^^

11. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Test scores are crap. It is to be treated as such. Many a student will do bad on purpose.

As far as me voting

Due to our current totalitarian nature of the current regime my voting rights are non-existant. Facist Dicatator!

12. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

Am I the only one who notices or cares about the fact the whichever party "Wins" spending will increase? I vote down anything that increases spending. I vore anything that reduces spending. I really don't care whether the Reps spend my money on guns and surveillence or the Dems spend my money on welfare and birthcontrol for elementary schools. I just want them both to stop spending MY money.

I have been working on a saying. I guess this is as good a time as any to try it out:

Republicans see the glass as half empty lacking Security and Defense to fill the rest.

Democrats see the glass as half full needing more welfare and handouts to fill the rest.

Libertarians see the glass as too big.

13. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

There ya go, I agree.
    A lot of folks have been hit hard in the last couple of years. They've had to tighten the old belt.
    So should the government, wouldn't you think? But no. State revenues are down by billions, budgets go up, as well as taxes, as if nothing happened. Unbelievable.

These politicians need a 2x4 across the noggin to get their attention. I have less, you have less. Why can't they understand that.

Tomorrow I vote for anyone who advocates less government (well, sort of).

Regards,

14. pupowski

pupowski Banned

I voted by mail over a month ago, for the incumbant Democrat. I don't care for the other candidate, or the Bush agenda he endorses.

15. ethics

LOL!

So true. :)

16. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

But we do need more money for education, want me to show you the science books from the middle school? They're well over 20...

17. ethics

They are soooo old, Charles Darwin wrote the chapter on Evolution!

18. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

Can't find right now, but there is another thread in here about how crappy the new text books are. The 20 YO ones are probably better.;)

wapu

19. ethics

What's at Stake

HOUSE All 435 House seats are up for election but there are competitive races for fewer than 40 in the closely divided chamber. The makeup is 223 Republicans, 208 Democrats, one independent and three vacancies. Whichever party holds 218 seats after the election gets to install the speaker, run the committees and fix the agenda.

GOVERNORS Governorships are at stake in 36 states. Republicans are defending 23 governorships to 11 for the Democrats. Two states Maine and Minnesota are led by independent governors.

LEGISLATURES Control of state legislatures currently split almost evenly between the two major parties is in question in several states. Because of redistricting, term limits and retirements, at least 22 percent of 6,214 state lawmakers will change. A transfer of just four seats or fewer in 25 states could shift the power from one party to another in one or both legislative chambers.

PROPOSITIONS Voters will decide 202 proposals on 40 state ballots. Among the issues are whether to legalize marijuana in Nevada, approve state lotteries in North Carolina and Tennessee, and require labeling of food produced from genetically engineered crops and livestock in Oregon. In Colorado and Massachusetts, voters will decide whether to eliminate bilingual education and replace it with a one-year English-immersion program, and in Florida they may choose to establish free pre-kindergarten and limit class sizes in public schools.

TURNOUT Voter turnout is expected to be as low or lower than in 1998, when only 36 percent of eligible voters cast ballots.

20. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

I ALMOST agree with you on this. My response has nothing to do with my being a democrat, however. As a fed worker, I TRULY understand the reasoning of the Dems on issues of job security in national security positions. Although, I do see Bushy's point of wanting to have and maintain manager control of who gets hired and who gets fored. So, I guess I am questioning your somewhat untrue inference of Mr. Daschle's thinking the Pres should not have this power. Truth be told, Pres already HAS this power. The issue is employee due process, and rights to work, and civil rights with that employment. That is ALL Mr. Daschle is seeking to obtain. Last I knew, equal rights were what American workers were used to having.

Anyway, regardless of your party GET OUT THE VOTE.