1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Lose Weight in 2003

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Dec 31, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Quoting today's WSJ column:

Eat more: It's hard to believe that eating more can help you lose weight, but if the added foods are fruits or vegetables, it will.
    Not only will eating more fruits and vegetables take up room in your stomach and reduce the amount of fatty foods you consume, but the increase in fiber will also block calorie absorption. The average American woman eats just 12 grams of fiber a day, according to one study. By simply increasing fiber intake to 24 grams and doing nothing else -- no exercise and no calorie cutting -- she would lose 10 pounds in a year.

Resolve to eat fruit at breakfast, a vegetable or fruit at lunch and two veggies with dinner. Skip the iceberg lettuce and go easy on the bananas -- they're loaded with calories. Focus on a variety of deep-colored veggies and fruits, like broccoli, spinach, carrots and berries.

Change one meal: Focus on improving one meal a day instead of all three. Remember that to lose a pound, you've got to create a deficit of 3,500 calories -- either by cutting back or exercising. Just eliminating 200 calories during one meal a day adds up to 1,400 calories a week and 73,000 calories a year -- or 20 pounds. A simple decision to forgo the morning doughnut, bagel or muffin three days a week and switch to a bowl of raisin bran or two pieces of toast with jelly would shave off 10 to 15 pounds. If you normally consume a 500-calorie lunch every day, then replace it with a 300-calorie frozen meal such as Lean Cuisine or Weight Watchers to lose about 20 pounds a year.
    Keep a food diary: Instead of promising to diet, which involves depriving yourself of something, vow to write down everything you eat. It's a simple but effective way to gain control of your eating. The hard part is being honest about the Snickers bar you just ate. You can use a journal or notebook, but I prefer the food diaries sold in book stores in the diet section. They have dedicated space for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks, and often have handy calorie-counter references in the back.

Walk away: Forget the gym or that vow to run a marathon this year. Just promise that once a day, you will walk out your door and keep walking for 10 minutes. Then turn around and go home. If you do that every day -- even if you don't change your eating habits -- you'll lose 10 to 15 pounds in a year. Do it twice a day, and you'll lose 20 to 30 pounds, depending on how brisk a pace you keep.

Take the long way home: Add 10 minutes to your daily commute to and from work by parking farther away or getting off one subway stop early. The extra walking will leave you eight or nine pounds lighter by the end of the year. Spend five minutes walking the stairs instead of riding the elevator at work, and you'll shed another three pounds.

Smoke on the clock: Don't stop smoking -- at least not yet. Just decide to smoke on a schedule. The schedule will include the same number of cigarettes you always smoke -- so you won't feel deprived. It's an important step toward quitting because it stops you from following the craving and shows you in an obvious way that you have control over a habit that has always controlled you.

2. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

You know, this eating less business not working is absolutely true.

Since my back surgery, I don't eat as much. Maybe 2 meals a day, and pretty small at that. And yet since my surgery, I've gained an incredible amount of weight - because I'm not as active as before (which wasn't much, but at least I could walk for longer periods of time).

I'm not sure if for me, eating MORE would help. But I definately want to start the walking thing. Just need to get an MRI (which I'm doing in about 30 minutes) to make sure I didn't screw up my back any further. Since my bloodwork came back clean, I guess I can start the vioxx again, so I will do that if everything in my MRI is good.

I swear, my body is stupid :(

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Misu, it's a constant battle over the weight issue. I am a workout freak and even in the gym people are doing stupid things to lose weight.

I thought this article was different than others if only in the original -- yet truthful -- manner.

If anyone needs personal advice, fire away. I've done the personal trainer (for friends only, I wasn't THAT good for pay:)) for years when I was younger and while people were different in the metabolic make up there are few sure things that will work.

Exercise, high reps (NOT Aerobics!!!) and even free weights for women, does incredible things. I've seen women suffer through the routine, become comfortable with them, and then going from 320 to about 130, and looking hot as hell. :)

Anyway... just my two cents. :)