1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How the French #$#$# Us in WWI

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 2, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Of French manufacture, the Chauchat 8mm light machine gun was developed in 1907 and subsequently modified in 1915._ It became the French army's standard infantry weapon, and some 250,000 were produced during wartime alone.
    Weighing under 10 kg the Chauchat suffered from the requirement that as many as four men were required to transport its ammunition (in drums)._ It suffered too from a high unreliability factor, a fact blamed on poor manufacturing standards._ Until the delivery of the Browning machine guns the US army also bought and used the Chauchat guns (having bought approximately 34,000 in 1917).

The above description of this gun: [​IMG] was very mild and understating.

See, during WWI, the US military in Europe were issued this machine gun, which, among other things, was also made in such a way that the parts were NOT interchangeable. If you saw the cartridge you'd immediately see a problem with the design when you add the trench war factor.

Not only that, but not any of the manufactured Chauchat's were exactly the same in performance!!!

Why didn't the US issue more of their Browning's (BAR) guns, which were superior?

Well, according to archives and History Channel (which is where I am getting all of this) the US thought the Browning SO successful that they were afraid the Germans would get a hold of it, manufacture it, and use it against us.

I thought it was perfect example of politics not belonging in military. To this day, they do not know how many lives could have been saved by a simple replacement of the guns.

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

This is all correct. :)

The French should stick to the things they know best: wine, food, berets, retreats, insouciance, and elaborate braids in underarm hair.

SM

3. ethics

I should add that it was the US who was responsible but you know me, I can't pass a good flame for the French. ;)

4. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I'm telling Fredus he needs to become a member here ;)

5. ethics

LOL!

6. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Hey, if the EU can distort things happening in the here and now to suit their purposes, I can warp the past to fit mine. :)

SM

7. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

"Yanks" by Eisenhower is a good read on the US involvement in WWI. The French then, were as French today. Typical arrogant people. They even made some US troops fight under the French flag. If I remember correctly, Pershing (the US guy in charge) had screaming matches all the time with the Frenchie in charge.
    Then again in WWI, AEF was not the Allied Expeditionary Force but the American Expeditionary Force (or After England Fell).
    Well, there's my little side track off the main line.

8. jamming

jamming Banned

You should hear what they did to thier Foreign Legion in that War, the only time Legionnaires fought in large groups on the Continent.

9. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

They treated their own army with the same contempt. The French army actually mutinied during the first world war.

10. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Just to go off topic for a minute, but I've long advocated that Paris is wasted on the French. A few well placed neutron devices and we could move the population of Des Moines there. Hell, give 'em a couple of years to take root and you could get a mean corn dog on the Champs Elysees.

11. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

C'mon now Steve! Yer startin' to sound like a Libe...

Oh nevermind. :rolleyes:

12. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I don't think anyone would even consider that an act of war. Even if it was, the French would last... oh... about 38 minutes against the 138th, 156 and 329th Mechanized Cub Scout Troops.

Coot for Prez!

13. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

The magazine was so poorly designed, the thing would jam up almost immediately. The sides of it were open, allowing the mud from the trenches (as Ethics alluded to) to get into it and then into the receiver.

Paris is an awesome city. Too bad the French are there screwing it up.

14. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Very true, in fact, the movie, 'Paths of Glory', starring KIrk Douglas that came out in 1957 was based on that event as an anti-war statement.

15. rowd

rowd Spark Maker

As far as i'm concerned France can go HERE

16. ethics

Rowd, you sicko! ;)

I like it. :)

17. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

The Yanks were only in the front line for about 5 months in 1918.

Did a choice of MG make all that much difference?

Rmember, most of the aeroplanes flown by America in WW1 were French.

John.

18. jamming

jamming Banned

Ask the guys that died John. If I ask you did Gallipoli really meant that much, I bet it would bother you and a number of Australians. No we didn't have it as tough as you did, but we didn't see it as our war until they started to kill our people and ships on the sea.

19. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Should we let Fredus see it ;)

20. Fredus

Fredus Registered User

Oh man ... Why did I ever join these forums ?? I mean, we did what we can during WWI .. .We won some battles, we lost some but everybody was a looser. I don't believe there are winner in war.

As for the Chauchat, it was one fine weapon. You can't argue this ... C'mon ... You can't. Right ??

Fred