1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How the elderly lose their rights

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by dsl987, Oct 3, 2017.

1. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Allene and ethics like this.
  2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Don't sign off your life to your "guardians".
  3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

These people didn't sign anything. It's a huge fucking racket that the laws allow "guardians" to arbitrarily declare the elderly "incompetent".
    ethics likes this.
  4. Allene

Allene Registered User

What a nightmare! I hope it isn't like this in every state. I already knew that there were individuals who took advantage of the elderly, but I didn't know that it operated in such an organized fashion on a larger scale.
  5. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

There has to be a way for third parties to identify people with questioned competence. Once set in motion there should be an advocate such as public defenders who meet with and talk to the people whose competence to handle their own affairs is questioned. Such an advocate could identify relatives such as the daughter of the couple in the story. Then, if needed, the guardian would be more inclined to keep the best interests of the incompetent in mind.

Keep in mind that those that pass laws are lawyers and/or accept money from special interest groups. Here in Florida you can not buy an extended warranty except from a dealer in Florida. So saving a thousand dollars is not an option. Also in Florida you can not have solar power as the primary option for power or even as an alternative to run when power if off. The power companies say it is a danger to their workers when restoring power, yet whole house natural gas generators are allowed. Follow the money.
  6. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Good news that the article didn't mention: April Parks and a few others were indicted earlier this year:

And she's behind bars claiming that she needs a public defender for lack of funds:

The daughter, Julie Belshe, of the parents featured in the article is interviewed in the above video.
  7. Arc

Arc Full Member

The most important part of the story told by the article is the terrible circumstances the husband and wife have had to endure. That's foremost and primarily the number one topic to focus on. It is disgusting what happened to them.

Now with the info above I can post what I wanted to post before but felt it wouldn't be taken constructively.

The article was a horrible piece of crap in terms of the information it contained and more importantly omitted. The whole long-winded "Gone With The Wind" story was riddled with holes of missing relevant information and raised numerous grossly obvious and relevant questions that were not addressed. I mean like really serious stuff.

In short, the story was full of holes.

Moving on let us hope the couple profiled can get some justice and fair treatment not to mention some type of compensation for the wrongs done to them.

Thanks to dsl987 for posting and bringing the story to our attention.

ADDENDUM: In many cases, perhaps most, one shouldn't be first looking for a guardian for themselves or a loved one. Rather they should seek a "hired gun" to protect themselves or loved ones.
    ethics and Allene like this.
  8. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, but the doctors and judges that were complicit in this mess aren't.
    Allene and ethics like this.
  9. ethics

Uhm fuck April Parks. I hope there's a special place for cunts like her.
  10. ethics

Yah my bad, I didn't read it and assumed it's another story of parents giving away their guardingship to their kids/other relatives.
  11. Allene

Allene Registered User

I agree. That is disgraceful. You'd think we could do better than that. It's like a third-world country, except they usually have extended families living together and have respect for the elderly. I can't predict the future, but there is a good chance I'll be widowed over the next ten years. If that happens, I'm staying put in this house as long as I can, rather than go into a senior living place and fall into the clutches of people like that.