1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Tesla “shot itself in the foot” by trying to hyper-automate its factory

Discussion in 'Economy' started by ethics, May 8, 2018.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

Machines should work. People should think.

I've been shadow banned. I can't respond to posts other than to edit them, I can't create new posts and cannot do PMs. I guess I did something to piss the admins off?

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  3. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I'm glad that Musk saw the light:

I got way back in the line for a Model 3 to give them time to iron out the kinks. If they're still having issues when my number comes up, I'll opt out.

ethics likes this.
  4. ethics

Same boat here. I want to see charging stations as many as gas stations.

5. dsl987

dsl987 Member

I have a reservation for the Model 3 as well. At this point I doubt I'll actually order one, because while I love most things about the car, I am not a fan of the user interface. Additionally by the time my order is ready the $7,500 tax credit will be long gone.
    The good news is there will be a lot of new EV's and PHEVs to choose from in the next couple of years, plus my new house has solar and a 240V car charger, so it will be ready for whatever EV or PHEV I purchase.

PS: I think it's going to be a long time before autonomous driving really takes off. I'd be surprised if a car can drive itself on 95% of US roads in all weather conditions by 2030

6. ethics

Do me a favor, since you know your shit in this area, you would update us on what's coming down the pike. Also, the challenges and such?

Whew, here I thought I was the only one missing something because legislature alone would set this back 50 years. I don't even see it in 2030. Maybe 2060.

7. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

It's still there today, isn't it?

8. Arc

Arc Full Member

Actually, they're already "taking off" so to speak. That's the current main problem. ;)

9. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I don't think autonomous driving can work safely with every car an autonomous car. I think it will take networking the cars on the road. Well, either that or putting the controls in the road. So when cars are talking to each other you can have traffic moving much faster and have more cars per mile because you will not need as much space between cars.

I foresee a requirement for networked cars within inner cities and maybe even interstates. If you are not networked you can not go in areas that require them. Ya, I am aware of the danger of hacked programs but you have that danger with autonomous cars already.

10. Allene

Allene Registered User

Where I live, we'd need to arrange a meeting with the local moose population before letting those cars loose on the highway.

11. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Until they get a handle on the issue of ethics programming, it ain't gonna happen. Not to mention, I doubt they'll be able to harden the interface on the vehicles to prevent them from being tampered with. Make it too difficult to access and most dealerships won't have anything to do with them.

ethics likes this.
  12. dsl987

dsl987 Member

The electric car tax incentive program is set to phase out for each car manufacturer after they sell 200,000 plug-in electric vehicles (full electrics and plug-in hybrids). Two quarters after a manufacturer hits 200,000 units, the tax credit available to their customers is cut in half. Two quarters later it is cut to 25 percent, and at the start of the sixth quarter after the limit is reached, the credit disappears completely.

Of course you only get the tax credit, if you have a $7,500 tax liability to start with.

In Tesla's case they are rapidly approaching the 200,000 limit, so a lot of people on the reservation list will not get the credit. There is one way to game the system, and that is to make sure that you sell the 200,000th car on the first day of a new quarter.

Personally I think it's a flawed system as it punishes early innovators like Tesla, whose tax credits will expire soon. Late comers will be able to take advantage of the hard work done by others, and will be able to apply credits to cars made much cheaper by the pioneering work of the leaders. They should have just made a big pool of credits from which all manufacturers could pull from. That way it would encourage more manufacturers to get in early before the pool dried up.

Another possible way to game the system would be to set up a brand new car company and be eligible for another 200,000 credits.