1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How One Stupid Tweet Blew Up Justine Sacco's Life

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by SixofNine, Feb 13, 2015.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Social media have become the pillories of the 21st century. Don't try to be ironic or mock with mimicry, because too many people will take your attempt at humor at face value. This is quite an in-depth, powerful article. Good people who make mistakes get seriously hurt.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

You have the right to be offended. People thought McCarthyism was bad... That was in certain circles, THIS? Why this is Bolshevism of the masses.

Social media is, on the whole, a very bad thing. It wastes time, gives at best ephemeral pleasure with a modicum of interest, causes privacy and necessary social boundaries to disintegrate, and enriches people very much at the expense of others. Anyone can make a statement they later regret. It is now impossible to genuinely retract or escape such a statement. This is outrageous. Social media brings out the very worst in people. Rather than free speech, ot also promotes - essentially requires - a ridiculous level of self-censorship or imposition of extreme global shaming. This is not a societal good.

Allene likes this.
  3. Allene

Allene Registered User

“It would seem strange that ignominy should ever have been adopted as a milder punishment than death, did we not know that the human mind seldom arrives at truth upon any subject till it has first reached the extremity of error.”

This is a though-provoking article. Too many people are so self-absorbed and so in need of attention that the damage they do to other people doesn't even appear on their radar screens.

Aside from reinforcing my desire to stay away from Twitter (although I am actually registered--in order to read one Twitter post) this article reminds me of something that happened in my extended family in the 1930s. I tripped over it while researching my family history. A cousin of mine got pregnant out of wedlock, and the priest made her sit up front and face the congregation for three consequent Sundays. Missing in action was the father, whoever he was. She had to leave the community and live on the opposite end of the country. I was happy to find via more research that she had met and married someone later on.

ethics likes this.
  4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

It's a sorry state of affairs when you read Biddle's public apology, and the comments following the apology are indicative of what's wrong with social media today. It would appear that most users are totally incapable of personal introspection and what should pass for decency in today's society.

Those that still vilify Justine Sacco for her comment had better hope that whatever they say isn't used against them later on. For if I, as a potential employer, read some of that vitriol, it would be a cold day in hell before they got a job as it's readily apparent they're incapable of thinking past their own short sightedness.

And regardless of what I found on Google, I'd date Justine Sacco in a bloody heartbeat. She seems to be quite the woman.

Allene and ethics like this.
  5. ethics

6. Biker

Words fail about the section on Adria Richards. Doing some thinking on the rest of it and will post later on it.

ethics likes this.
  7. Allene

Allene Registered User

That's where I was blown away as well. It's hard even to grasp that she seriously believed this was his fault. Everything is all about herself.

In general, I find that a lot of people reveal too much about themselves on the Internet, and too many workplaces are too quick to fire them.

8. Greg

Greg Full Member

There is only one way to handle social media: don't partake. Reveal your deepest secrets, or even your most shallow secrets, and once it's on the Internet it's there forever. Haunt you the rest of your life, ruin your career with that shot of you smoking dope or involved in sexual exploits ...

I've never joined a social site, never will. I have an unusual/uncommon last name. I own my .COM. Search for me and you'll likely land on a site I control, and all that's there is a contact form.

Unfortunately every day more government records are declared to be the right of the public to have access to, so if you know my last name your biggest problem is which address to pick. Pick the right one and meet Mr. S. and Mr. W. and their buddy Colt.

It's such a shame that between the public's right to know and the infinite reaches of the Internet, that any dope can drive to your front door and barge into your life.

Back when I was less known, when records weren't so public, when I was selling on the Internet I had one jerk drive over to my "house" who decided he wanted to buy in person -- without even asking me or making any appointment. He was pissed off when he arrived at my address and discovered I live in the UPS store. :)

Right area but off by a mile. MY mile.

9. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Richards seems to have a distinctive style, which is to go to DEFCON 1 immediately. In this blog that lamented Richards's dismissal from SendGrid, this female techie decided to bolster that point by describing her negative experience with Richards.

Regarding the incident at PyCon, there is wisdom in this blogger's assessment and reaction:

10. Biker

Hell, I don't like her and I've never met her.

This is a woman who has an overblown sense of self importance combined with a militant attitude that uses social media to her advantage. And when things blow up in her face, it's never her fault.

Take Lindsey Stone. While I can see the humor in the photo, there was a part of me that was fairly ticked off considering where it was taken. She never should have uploaded it to Facebook. That should be the type of thing that stays off the Internet and held closely in a private collection, to be shown to close acquaintances only.

And the more I think about this, the more I find it indicative of what's wrong with many who use social media. It's never their fault. They never stop to think what consequences their actions may have, and when things head south, all you hear is their lament about how unfair it is and it's not what they meant.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  11. Allene

Allene Registered User

Good for SendGrid! I hope that's the end of her!

12. Biker

In a way, it's possible it all started with Monica Lewinsky.

Monica Lewinsky says cyberbullying almost drove her to suicide - British Columbia - CBC News

Emphasis mine.

And she's right.

13. ethics

Agree 100%.

14. Biker

And the comments that follow the article are a prime example of why it needs to stop.

15. Allene

Allene Registered User

Honestly, I think people have waaaaay too much to say these days, period! I have a sister-in-law who used to feel it was her duty to let everybody and his pet chicken know exactly what she thought on darn near everything. This led to a series of job firings. Finally, she went to her pastor for advice. He reminded her that it wasn't necessary to vocalize EVERYTHING she thought about EVERYTHING. He then recommended having a zipper installed on her mouth. Worked wonders! ;)