1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Much Does a Space Station Cost?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Dec 3, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

This article in space.com discusses what the actual costs of the space station have been since it was first proposed by President Reagan in 1984. Depending on how you account for the cost of shuttle launches, the number is well over $40 billion in the U.S. alone. It begs the question of what else could have been done with the same money and far superior management.

See Article Here

2. jamming

jamming Banned

Whatever it costs pay it, humans only excell when facing challenges. However, the cost changes as inflation rises and when operational costs change due to modification. A Kilogram only costs so much to get into orbit but if that KG doesn't fit in the present package it has to go and be assembled in space, the world changes and they have never done it before. Hear of the Brooklyn Bridge it has cost a lot more than its original estimate even before it was built and all the repairs over the years. Yet it is still a darn good bridge.

3. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

As much as I'm thoroughly intrigued with space exploration, and love to ponder the vast unknown when I gaze at the milky way at night (when well outside the city of course), I just can't see how $40 billion for a space station is worth it.

In my opinion, we've too many problems here on earth to be wasting money on a project that just hasn't given the bang for the buck.

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

If we don't spend the money on the space station we will always find other priorities. The space station money will come back ten fold in the future. And I firmly believe the human race has to settle elsewhere to survive. We love our freedom too much to be tied down and not allowed to produce and to live off minimum calories. And that's where we will be if we don't kill ourselves off first.

5. mikeky

mikeky Member