1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many gay people do we have?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Jul 21, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I have a sensitive, inconvenient, and undoubtedly politically incorrect question: Why aren’t there more gay people?

I ask because there’s something confusing about our “culture war.” Given the prominence of the issue, you would expect homosexuality to be rampant in America. When asked to estimate how many gay people there are, most people guess that it’s on the order of 20% to 25% of the population. But yet another study has been released by the CDC giving a more scientific estimate, and it finds that almost 97 percent of Americans describe themselves as straight — the actual number who describes themselves as gay, lesbian, or bisexual is 2.3%. So the public’s perception is off by a whole order of magnitude.

It’s almost as if someone has been conspiring to elevate this issue way beyond its actual cultural significance. That is precisely what we find, and both sides are to blame.

Indeed.

http://thefederalist.com/2014/07/21/why-arent-there-more-gay-people/

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  2. Greg

Greg Full Member

Why do we care how many gays there are? I don't wanna know what ppl are doing in their bedrooms.

Amraann likes this.
  3. ethics

Then don't reply in threads?

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I think it is the innate sense of fairness the American society has. The same sense of fairness resulted in the ADA. And when you compare the cost of ADA versus rights for gays it is easy to see which was the more costly. I don't know the percentage of Americans who are disabled but that percentage is rising steadily as more groups are so labeled.

And it should be noted that discussion of the ADA is even more politically incorrect that discussing the rights of same sex couples.

ethics likes this.
  5. ethics

Pretty fair comparison. So are we headed to the same results? For the record, I am not against giving disabled access and many other things ADA made mandatory.

6. Amraann

Amraann Full Member

Very interesting..

I would say that the closer number is about 30% and that is just based on the people that I know.

As for ADA? I do not see the correlation. What I mean is that to expect equal rights based upon who you sleep with behnd closed doors is not the same as expecting equal access to a park or grocery store because you use a wheel chair.
    I do not care what consenting adults do behind closed doors.

7. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

So how do you arrive at a 30% figure when scientific figures are placing the gay population at less than 3%?

And therein lies the rub. The media has done such an outstanding job of snowing JQ Public again, that the honest (real) figures will be ignored outright.

8. ethics

You are making anecdotal evidence as fact. It's 1/10th of that %.

9. Amraann

Amraann Full Member

I base that upon the people I personally know and the % of them that are LGBT.

I am not claiming any accurate figure. Just what I know in my own life.

10. Allene

Allene Registered User

I think our perception of the number of gay people changes, depending on what field we work in, or what circles we move in. The arts generally have a higher number. The library field is another one, but not as much as the aforementioned. I was under the impression it was about 10%.

I personally benefited from the ADA, but I never tried to push the envelope there. My favorite was and is the ruling that all new TVs with screens larger than I think 13 inches had to have a chip in them by July 1993. The actual closed-captioning grassroots movement began in the early 1970s with petitioning of public television stations. I was living in Boston then and went around getting signatures for it. Today it's all over the place, and most DVDs have either subtitle or closed-captioning options or both. You have no idea how helpful that is!

Shiny mentioned that criticism of the ADA is even more sensitive than criticism of gay rights. I think, however, that SOME of the people who do the most jumping up and down over any criticism of the ADA are actually not disabled. I for one found some of the lawsuits filed by hearing-impaired people in the early days of the ADA just plain silly.

SOME of the PC crowd are in it for themselves more than anything else. "Look at me! I'm so kind and tolerant and sensitive to diversity."

ethics likes this.
  11. ethics

Perfect timing. In today's Science Times (from NYTimes):

Of 34,557 adults ages 18 and older, the survey reported, 1.6 percent said they were gay or lesbian. Some critics say the numbers are low, but they fall in the range of other surveys. In the new survey, however, only 0.7 percent of respondents described themselves as bisexual; other studies have reported higher numbers.

Adults who identified themselves as gay, lesbian or bisexual reported some different behaviors and concerns — for example, more alcohol consumption and cigarette smoking — than those who said they were straight.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/...-are-lesbian-gay-or-bisexual/?ref=todayspaper

12. Allene

Allene Registered User

As I suspected, some of them won't reveal themselves, or they lie about it. I'm also not sure why we have to go around asking people about this.

13. Allene

Allene Registered User

I wasn't referring to you, Leon, when I wondered why these surveys needed to be done.

ethics likes this.
  14. ethics

I think it's like Shiny alluded to. ADA all over again.