1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does this work?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sir Joseph, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

I just heated up my "instant" dinner and I have two questions:
    1) It says it needs no refrigeration, yet there are no preservatives and it is meat. Does a vacum pack really allow this, and how do I know if it's a vacum pack?
    2) Also, and this is the coolest part, it doesn't need a microwave or oven. It comes with a package of salt water and a heating element of Iron and Magnesium. You pour the salt water on the element, put the food on the element, put it back in the carton and wait 14 minutes.
    The thing was hissing and rumbling after about 2 minutes.
    Isn't modern technology great?
    :thumbsup:

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

Sir Joseph,

Are you in the army?

Allene

3. Sir Joseph

Nah, I'm part of the only other group that has to eat this food: college student.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

Ah, college student, I understand. I thought it might be some sort of freeze-dried camping stuff, but didn't you say you poured the water on the heating element instead of in the food? Odd! I hope it tasted better than I think it did! Time for you to go home for the holidays and have a decent feed! ;)

Allene

5. Sir Joseph

I poured the water on the element, and then the food in the packaging went on top of the element. It actually didn't taste too bad. I might have to try it again!

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I know only one answer out of all of those questions, SJ. Vacuum does work. :)

7. Sir Joseph

But it didn't look like the typical freeze-dried food. It's not in a bag or anything and there was air in the packaging. There was room to smoosh the food around.
    But it was cool watching it fizzle and work it. Magnesium is actually all I remember from HS chemistry. That thing can burn! Head on over to a local (extrememly local) grocery and get it. It's an experience to add to your "I lived through so much in the world." bit. :)

8. ethics

LOL! No thanks. It's bad enough to get through H. Pylori infection eating out. ;)

9. Sir Joseph

10. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

sounded like an MRE to me. What was really odd in the Army was the 6 month old not needing to be refrigerated milk. It was in a juice box like box with a straw. It was ultra-pasteurized or something. Tasted kinda burned, but damn good after 3 weeks in the field eating the "meat" you described.

wapu

11. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

There are radiated foods out there that do not need refrigeration and are good for months.

12. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

You know, I'm a firm believer that none of that stuff is good for you. I know you're a broke college student, SJ, but real food doesn't cost *that* much. And it's fun to cook - I love inventing new recipes, and I don't spend that much a week for food, and I have to feed my husband as well as myself.

If you have a BJ's or Sam's Club or Costco close to you, you can split the membership costs with another person or 2 and each of you gets a card and you can buy meat in bulk - they have great selections in the butcher section, and their prices are almost always over 50% off that of supermarket prices.

For instance, I just bought a 10.5 pound baked ham for Christmas, at $ 0.79 a pound - a little over 8 bucks, and it's enough to feed 10 people this christmas dinner! A comparable piece of ham at the supermarket by my house was almost $4.00/lb. Seriously, get a membership at one of those places and learn to cook, it'll save you money (and probably your intestinal lining) ;)

13. Alf

Alf New Member

Yeah Misu makes awesome dinners and I enjoy them every day.

14. ethics

Nice tease. Do we get to taste any of this?

15. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Misu's certainly right about "real" food being more tasty and nutritious, and I love to cook myself....but that little self-heating gimmick sounds like something I'd have to try, just for the "gee whiz" factor. ;)
    Ten or fifteen years ago, when I was in Japan, I used to get sake in a can with a little chamber on the bottom. You poked a little plastic stick into an opening on this chamber and the whole can got really hot. In a few seconds, you had hot sake, right from the can. It wasn't very good sake, but it was really cool (well, not <b>cool</b>, but...you know ;)) the way it got hot.

16. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Sir Joseph, you don't even need to eat meat to get proteins. Peanut butter is cheap and needs no refrigeration. If you have some refrigerator room and a little hot plate then do the macaroni and cheese and eggs thing. Yummy and good for you.

17. jamming

jamming Banned

Try this recipe, it got me through college, get a "Mac and Cheese" and a can of Chile without Beans (or with) and a cheap bottle of Chili Spices, like 2/$1 at a dollar store. Cook Mac/Cheese then add in Chili can, reheat and season to taste. It is a form of Hobo Casserole.

18. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Hobo casserole sounds pretty good actually :)

I've been a Kraft mac and cheese fan all my life !

19. Sir Joseph

Like Joseftu mentioned with his sake, I really tried this for the "cool" factor. Most often I either make food or I go to one of the thirty million take-outs in my area. As for peanut butter, I can eat it by the spoonful, no need for bread!

20. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Oh so you're just like my brother then. Brave and wanting to try all those new things to eat. LOL he used to go to the camping store just to try the new foods. Got this one called ice cream. It was little pellets of stuff that was warm and just like sweet tasting. I think he actually enjoyed seeing how wierd these things were. The things crazy young men will do ;)