1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOw do I use NERO CD burn?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by btdude, Dec 18, 2002.

1. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

Just installed a new CDRW drive. The Nero Burn software came with it. I don't have a bleeping clue. Why can't I just put the damn CDR in the drive and copy stuff to it? Do I really have to make individual Cd's for each media format, like 1 for music, 1 for files and data, and i more for pics, and vids and such? And where do tax files go? And, What is the deal with the Nero Media Player? Is it better than Real, or WMP?

2. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

What OS are you using BT?

If you're using XP, and you just want to copy data files, simply right click on the file from explorer and select "send to" and pick the CDRW drive.

Otherwise, use the wizard in Nero to burn music, video, data, etc CD's.

Does this answer your queston?

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Can't answer all your questions. But a data CD is just like your HD except it can only be read once closed. In other words, a data CD can have any file on it and it will be treated as a file. A music CD is created in a special way so that music CD players, as in your car or living room, will see it as music. Your car CD player will not play a CD music file in the middle of a data CD. Pics on a CD can be seen as pics even on data CD's. The special mode for picture CD's simply makes it an automatically started slide show and can be seen on some DVD players.

Could be mistaken but that is my understanding.

4. tke711

Nero also has a free add-on utility called In CD for RW media.

5. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

LOL Now I'm more corn fused. There is this reader thing called UDF or UDR??? All Iknow is, when I had that Adaptec, Now Roxio, CD Creator, it messed up everything on the machine. WME BTW. 510 RAM 866 mhz lalalalala

All I want to do is copy files from the net, or from my hard dirve, or from MS Word, etc. I don't really do the mp3 thing, so that's not a big concern for me. I save large newsgroup files and stuff, and i only want the CD Thing to hold those files. I prefer to SAVE AS (D DRIVE) rather than launching the whole Nero thing. But, if I have to do that, then OK, I just don't know all that techie lingo. I just feel my way, till it works, but that get's expensive.

6. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

You used to have Adaptec/Roxio on there? My suggestion is to uninstall all CD burning programs, clean out the folders for them. Also clean out any rogue registry entries left behind. Reboot, and reinstall Nero.

7. tke711

LOL...sorry to confuse you more my friend.

Basically, once you install InCD, and format your media, all you have to do is "drag and drop" data to your CDRW drive. It's very easy.

Did that make it easier?

8. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

YAY Gregg. Yes, I like that. Tech Yes, I did the complete unistall thing for Adaptec, did the defrag, did the whole regedit thinggy. Nero is all installed, and it does work, but I've not yet tried to write stuff to it. Question is still this: Can I COMBINE different types of files on one CD? Can I put music, data, and graphics on the same CD without the different "readers" telling me incompatable format, etc.??

9. tke711

Yes.

Use the "Drag and Drop" option if you are using RW media.

Use the "make data CD" option from Nero Wizard if using CD-R media.

Also, like I said before, if you are using XP for your operating system, you can also burn simply by right clicking on the file and selecting "send to -> burner drive". You don't even need Nero or InCD.

10. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Mixing should work fine.

11. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

WOO HOO! I did it, and removed 256 MB from the ole' hard drive!! I used the Nero Express tool. I put the Cher music on the CD and other stuff pics, vids, etc. It worked !! Now, I am just pissed off that I bought CD-R disks, that will NOT work with the Nero In CD thing, apparently I need CDRW Those bitches, got me with my pants down. LOL

12. tke711

You can still use CD-R's but not with InCD.

Just open Nero, use the wizard, and pick "Data CD". Then drop in the files you want to put on the CD. Click the burn button at the top and you are all done.

Not as easy as using explorer, but not too bad either.

13. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

CDRW are more expensive and IMHO too long to format, something not necessary with CDR's. I accidentally bought some CDRW's one time and give them to somebody who likes them.

14. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

InCD is designed specifically for the CD-RW format. You can use a CD-RW almost as an extension of your hard drive, adding and deleting things at will, right up until you close the disc. Also, be aware that there are still many computers out there that will not read the data on those discs until they are closed, although I believe InCD puts a small program on the disc itself which it will offer to install if it is inserted into a machine that cannot understand the format. In addition, CD-RW is not the most reliable thing in the world to use in this manner - I've lost quite a bit of data when they would suddenly corrupt, and not be able to recover with the tools at hand.

With CD-R discs you can do the same backups, you simply must do them from within the Nero program. Of course, once it is burnt, it is burnt, but with as cheap as CD-R media has become, I use it almost exclusively now because I've found these discs to be far more reliable. You can also burn your MP3 format songs that you may have "backed up" to your PC to a music CD that will play in your regular audio equipment.

Hope this helps!!

15. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

OH YEAH!! I am SOOOO becoming a computer GEEK! ROFL I'm like all excited when I saw that blue bar telling me the status of the Nero install. Shoot me, now. So, yes, it all works pretty well, except i have the damn INCD crap loaded that I won't ever use, apparently. I assume I just go to the start-up, and remove it from the toolbar.

And, Yes, Sun - the guy at Best Buy told me the same thing about CD-R LOL But that was the irony, he praised Nero so much, but forgot to tell me that small part about the INCD thing. This all came about cuz I needed space (although I don't know why, I have a 20 gig hard drive, it's a lil bit above average size, but not the biggest one) for my income tax stuff.

16. Sunriser13

< kidding mode >
    Um, did anybody ever mention RTFM?? rofl <small>Oops! Had to fix the acronym!! Duh...</small>
    < /kidding mode >

Seriously, BT, when you are new to any technology, it is going to take a little while to become comfortable with it, and to learn of all its capabilities. I find that user forums are usually jam-packed with people who have had, or are having, the same problems as you. In addition, reading some of the posts that are really silly will give you more confidence in what you <i>do</i> know already.

Oh, and as far as the salesperson at BestBuy is concerned, you're probably lucky he knew as much as he did. They don't hire too many rocket scientists!! ;)

17. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

<<<<<<<<<<<<<< running and hiding from RFTM cuz to me that means Runaway From The Machine

18. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

I also agree with Sunriser on that one. Some of the puters have a hard time with CD-RW...And quite honestly I don't see a need for them. With the price of regular CD-R media as low as it is (sometimes with rebates they are free), the call to use a CD-RW is becoming smaller and smaller. Is uppose there are people that need the abilit to do the re-write function, but after a few re-writes and erases on a CD-RW they start to become alittle flakey. I mean don't forget how a CD-RW disc works. When you burn that CD, the laser actually etches all you 1's & 0's (translated from you backup files) onto a thin film on the CD-r or RW..The erase function actually re-burns the CD-RW. It removes a thinner layer off the medium so it appears to be a clean disk...And like any medium ROM, Floppy, Tape..they all have limited uses cycle

You can only erase so many times b4 it becomes unreadable....So with the price of CD-R' roms as low as they are. Its almost not worth the CD-RW function.

Oh BT...I hate the fact that the INCD always comes up on install..heheheh

and NERO is definitely the way to go. Great program and uses way less computer resources than Adaptec EZ CD..

19. Sunriser13

OK, OK, you busted me on that one!!! But I think you just coined a new one, doll... ;)

20. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I love Best Buy because I always know what I want before I enter the store AND I get everything at cost + 10% because my wife works there.

The sales floor staff don't even bother with me as they are all keenly aware that I live and breathe electronics and PC's. Once in a while they will approach and ask if I want a particular SKU run to review the employee price :) They know me that well. The tech bench has asked me on numerous occasions to work part time servicing PC's. I may somwhere down the road but I will NOT deal with public in any way, shape, or form. I've heard many a horror story from my wife. My wife has wanted to change jobs a few times now but we use the discount so much we are worse than a couple crack addicts.

Here is a few big ticket items I've purchased on discount that give you an idea of the markup the typical customer pays :

Maytag washer and dryer pair :

Retail price : 860.00 discount price : 380.00
    Retail 3 yr PSP : 75.00 discount PSP : 12.50

Sony Wega 36 inch TV (when they just hit the market)

Retail price : 1,500.00 Discount price : 890.00
    Retail 3 yr PSP : 125.00 Discount PSP : 19.00

The funniest one was a printer cable marked 30 bucks that cost me 2.89 on discount :)

Another fringe benefit is on the PSP (product service protection) plans.

Every year, without fail, I take my vacuum cleaner in and tell them its busted. They roll their eyes, giggle, and tell me to grab the new model :) ahhhh...product service protection as it was meant to be !

And yes..most floor sales staff are technically challenged.