1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I cook shortribs?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by bruzzes, Jan 18, 2003.

1. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

The best meat I ever ate was short ribs cooked by my father.

At the remembrance of that cullinary delight I puchases two rather large short Ribs.

They have been sitting in the freezer for a month now as I have no idea how to cook them correctly.

Any help?

Experianced short rib cookers only...;)

2. IamZed

IamZed ...

Boil the things then smoke them. Pour two cans of beer in the water you boil them in. Get hickory chips and soak them as well. I use a barbeque sauce created by Linden Johnsons pit master. It comes in two parts. The first has just the oils and spices. You finish with the part that contains sugar and caramelizing agents. But the meat has been cooked without carmalisation.

3. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Sounds delicious!!!

Directions seem a bit unclear though. Do I soak them with the hickory chips first? How long?

When I boil them, I use two cans of beer. Do I also include the hickory chips in the boiling water? How long do I boil them?

I know it is hard for you to type because of your fingers so hopefully you can use some short answers.

Thank you for replying.

4. martissimo

martissimo Veteran Member

he means to soak the hickory chips seperately in their own water while the ribs simmer....then once the ribs are done braising and you grill them you put the chips over the flame or coals so that the now thoroughly soaked wood chips will smoke a ton instead of just burning, if you leave your grill closed during this stage the smoking wood will impart a ton of flavor ;)

5. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Thank you martissimo.

LOL!!! Of course that makes alot more sense.

I am not sure I want a "woody" flavor though...;)

Maybe for a "rump roast"... or a nice "breast" if you catch my drift...

I better stop before this gets moved to the "Gin Joint".

6. IamZed

IamZed ...

In the morning I will fire up my grill in the snow. I have a thick steak, the kind the Skipper always said he would get if rescued. I use spices on the thing. Store bought spices so take your pick. Then I surround the meat with upturned mushrooms. They fill with meat juices and are excellent. I then throw 2 bundles of green onions right on top and let them fry in the steam of the cooking meat.
    Shit, this will be like Christmas.

7. muddly

muddly Guest

I've never smoked them, but I barbecue them (or broil if the BBQ is on the fritz/frozen shut/buried in snow.) I boil or steam them until the meat is nearly falling off the bone before they go on the grill to get that BBQ ribs effect... brushing liberally with whatever sauce I have around. You can get creative with ribs.

8. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Dang!

I'm hungry!

Thanks for the responses.

I plan on having "Blood Saugage" for breakfast with eggs.

Anyone ever have that?

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

YES! Most awesome!!! :)

10. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

My wife and the kids almost barf when I tell them what it is.
    I tried to tell them that it does not contain real blood and that it is just a name like bird nest soup.

Soup made out of bird's nests? Get real...;)

Didn't work BTW.

11. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Scrapple is also a very good breakfast item.

*just don't read the ingredients* ;)