1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did Jesus heal the sick?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Robert Harris, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

A claim is made by researchers that he used marijuana!

Excerpts:

Cannabis linked to Biblical healing

Many of the miracles concerned healing Jesus Christ and his apostles may have used a cannabis-based anointing oil to help cure people with crippling diseases, it has been claimed.

Researchers in the United States say the oil used in the early days of the Christian church contained a cannabis extract called kaneh-bosem.

They suggest the extract, which is absorbed into the body when placed on the skin, could have helped cure people with a variety of physical and mental problems.
    In a response to the article published on JesusJournal.com, critics said: "As many of us know firsthand, Jesus often becomes the final hope for the pharmacologically impaired."

John Cunyus, the author of a book on Christian healing, said: "Well, the Bible does say that St. Stephen was stoned... but perhaps not in that sense!"

More:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2633187.stm

Perhaps I should note that the research is reported in High Times,m not noted for objectivity about the use of pot. Still, interesting because the herb aapparently has been used for healing in some places at some times, apparently successfully. :)

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Related to the topic but slightly OT, but my understanding of the times during which Jesus lived through was that there were many people who were making miracles happen?

3. Robert Harris

I am not sure, but it seems plausible. Just as today a number of fundamentalist preachers claim to heal the sick, etc.

Use of marijuans also has an ancient history. If my memory serves me right, Herodotus reports that the Scythians used it, burning it in vessels of some sort and inhaling the fumes.

4. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I seem to remember several years ago that Oral Roberts nearly went bankrupt selling LP records of his sermons....it seems the hole in the middle of the record kept healing up. ;)

5. Robert Harris

He must have been smoking pot when he recorded them. :)

6. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Superstition has reigned supreme for most of recorded history. It hasn't been until relatively recent times, say the mid- to late-1700's that things such as ghosts, witches, etc. stopped being widely accepted as real entities in the Western world. The eastern world has long had its pantheon of spirits, sprites, djinn, etc. I guess what I'm getting at is that prior to modern times, when science and technology have allowed for a better understanding of the world, by the masses, people were more gullible, more prone to believe just about anything that couldn't be immediately disproven.

I have to wonder how many afflictions mentioned in the Bible could have been attributed to this frame of mind, this overpower belief in superstition so strong as to cause people to speak in tongues, carry themselves as if crippled, or act in self-desttructive ways?

And perhaps Jesus was just the man to come along and say "Get up, you're not crippled!"

7. valgore

valgore Veteran Member

I remember reading a story in the bible about a woman who went running up behind jesus, she fell to her knees and reached out and grabbed him, the deciples seeing this thought the woman was attacking Jesus, so they grabbed her. Jesus turned around and asked the woman why she had done that and she replied " I just knew that if I touched you I would be healed" Jesus said " Go, your faith has healed thyself"

So Jesus didn't heal that woman, She healed herself. and that is what Jesus preached about the most, the power of faith. or to put it into more contemporary terms; The power of the mind. Whether or not jesus used cannibis or anything else is really beside the point, the bible states that jesus performed miracles so that his words might be believed. it's not what he did that needs to be studied but rather what he said!!

8. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

I have seen sugar pills and placebos perform miracles.

I have seen "Holy Men" perform operations that heal the sick.

Perhaps it is the conscienceness of man that limits him in these areas.

Just a thought...

Man creates and lives in his creations. The world believes in sickness, old age and death. These may be man-made concepts created by a limited sight. If one could move past this self imposed limitation, to the true source within, perhaps one could superceed the restraints of these concepts.

As valgore mentioned, belief, that is total belief, with every cell and thought holding to that power may possibly remove the concept of that particular illness.

Miracle? Or is it the release of Ignorance?

9. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

"..the release of Ignorance".....what a marvelous phrase, bruzzes, I must try to remember that.

The release of ignorance. It sums up quite nicely what I was trying (poorly) to get at and, I believe, meshes nicely with valgore's comments and the traditional teachings of "faith" being behind the actual working of miracles.

The release of ignorance....applicable on so many other levels, too.

10. ethics

Compelling post, Valgore.

I tend to agree that our mind has cabalities to heal as much as to hurt. Many of the "powers" of the mind are yet to be researched but as Bruzz pointed out, a good start would be in the placebo studies.

11. jamming

jamming Banned

I believe that he healed the sick with a smile, the simple act of concern, and the love of God.

I have some of the ancient annoiting oil you may be talking about it. It is not from Modern Marijuana, anymore than hemp is Modern Marijuana.

12. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

Boy, this is going to be a hard post for me. A little too revealing, if you will.

But, I've got to ask:
    You wouldn't be a Christian Scientist would you? The reason I ask, is that my wife, of 35 years, is. (And I was thrown out of the Catholic Church for marrying such a pagan! ;) )

But, what you posted sounds very similiar to their tenants.
    Basically:
    God is perfect.
    Man was made in the image and likeness of God.
    Therefore, man is perfect.
    Does anyone picture God being sick?

Yea, I know. A piss poor summary of their beliefs. But, what do you expect from an admitted agnostic?

But, I'll tell you this.
    Over 35 years, I've personally seen some pretty remarkable shit.
    Some doctors, in the great hospitals in Boston, chaulk it up to 'will to live', as, medically, they have no explaination.

Power of God?
    Power of praying to Jesus (God's son)?

Or, the POWER of the human MIND, 'Focused' via religious beliefs?

I dunno.
    But, I do know that I've lived thru several events that were truly remarkable.

It simply makes one wonder.
    I suspect that we have no idea just how much we don't understand.

Regards,

13. ethics

I never knew that was what a Christian Scientist is?

14. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

Yipes!
    Don't go by MY definition, pal!
    I'm not a member of their Church.

It's just that I have seen them ask their 'practitioners' (those members that have this shit figured out?) to help them in terrible times.

And, the cause of the terrible times ceases to exist. Did their participation help? I dunno.

But, you live thru enough of this stuff, over 35 years, and you begin to wonder if 'something' is going on.

And, NO, they are not one of those 'sects' that REFUSE medical help when they're sick. (At least I've never seen this). It's just that if they need medical help, then they feel that really don't have their shit together, yet.
    So, fix me up doc, I've got some more studying to do.

I told you my post was difficult for me to do. In part, because I mentioned the beliefs of some folks that I truly respect, but, of which I know very little.

I meant it an example of how little we may know about the 'healing' process.

Regards,

15. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Sorry for not editing your post in the quote above but I could not find anything much to edit.

No, I am not a member of the Christian Scientists. My beliefs have been taken from many world religions melded together in a simplistic core tenet. I believe in a God, be he called Allah, Yahweh, Buddha or Christ. The name does not matter for it is not the name that is important to me but what they teach. Not the man laws, or the book laws but the words that lie beneath the letters.

My strange belief is that we are all a part of God. It is the dual mind that separates us from that recognition. Thinking ourselves separate is the Ignorance I spoke of in my post.
    Your syllogism is therefore correct.
    If God is perfect
    and we are a part of God
    Then we are perfect.

The reason we do not appear to be perfect is because the inner light within ourselves are covered in layers of ignorance. Some call it Maya, illusion, ego etc. These layers which we create imperfectly is what is called sickness, old age and death. Since we have created these concepts we are limited by our belief in their power over us.

A belief in a higher power can sometimes pierce a hole in these layers and give us a glimpse of who we really are.

Again, this is the concept that I presently believe in.
    Whether it is a universal truth for all, I cannot say. I would never presume to make such a statement for others.

Whether Jesus healed by this removal of Ignorance or not, the belief that he could was all that was necessary for one to heal themselves.

16. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

Bruzzes,

Thanks for the response.
    I find it remarkable that you've come to the conclusions (so far) that you have, due to dilligent study of 'what's out there'.
    Well done. And good luck in trying to piece all this together.

Although agnostic about it all, I do believe that there's SOMETHING here that we don't understand. I've seen it too often to ignore.

Sometimes (as the thought of the origional post in this thread), I wonder if 'some' folks a couple of thousand years ago understood something that we, today, don't. I also think I've met 'some' folks today that understand it. But, it seems hard for them to explain it to a dumbshit, like me. Perhaps my mind is too polluted with perceived 'reality'? I dunno.

Did the use of marijuana (or the like) enable folks to 'focus' the mind to accomplish remarkable things? Perhaps.
    I've seen enough, in my lifetime, to suspect that there's somthing going on that we can't define.

So, we continue the quest of enlightenment.

Thanks again, for the response.
    Regards,

17. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Bruzzes, you have come very close to the same conclusions I have regarding belief in God and what lies after this existence.

jfcjrus, since my birth, I have beat the odds from a medical standpoint and the doctors are at a loss to fully explain why. They told my mother things like '9 out of 10 children are profoundly retarded and do not live out their teen years and should be institutionalized'. Well, for someone who recently turned 50, was tested at 14 with a Stanford-Binnet IQ test and scored 138 and spent over 20 years as an x-ray tech doing general, CT and angiography, not too bad.

There is certainly something to be said for Eastern views of religion and philosophy. In my mind, I am proof that there is more than can be explained by science alone. Mere science would have had me unable to have these wonderful discussions with all of you a long time ago and as most recently as 1994, when I should have died twice. Again by all that modern medicine knows, failing that, I should have had the mental capacity of something on the order of an over done vegetable. I continue to seek knowledge and am glad I can share things here.

Mike

18. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

While I have been busy trying to share my child-like knowledge of Eastern religions, I have never abandoned the Western Religions entirely either. There are still some anomalies I have yet to perceive.

One case in point is karma.
    If we are a result of karmic thinking then we experience the results of past actions.
    This could be applied to your physical condition in this lifetime.

Some would even state that your condition is the result of your actions in a past lifetime.

In the bible, there is a story that when asked of Jesus what sins were upon this man to make him blind, Jesus replied that perhaps there was no sin. Perhaps he is where he is to show the glory of God.

This revelation leads me to believe that a power greater than Karma exists that can heal and make us whole.
    That power is the part of God within us that can overcome the limitations we foolishly put ourselves in and occasionally shows forth. The will to survive and overcome those limitations are not concrete in nature but abstract. If abstract, they must come from a source. What greater source than that of God himself?

I continue to pray for the release of pain for you mike.
    I started those prayers way back in another thread after your bout with the outside leave raking. I do believe in prayer. It is a communication with the essence of who we really are.

I hope you are feeling better.

19. ethics

Bruzz,

What if you have a good physical state this lifetime, and lead a noble, yet not heroic life, what physical state will you have the next one?

20. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Good question ethics.

It is the evolution of the soul or spirit that is the purpose behind reincarnation and karmic lessons not the physical conveyance.
    Whereas the body may be an object used in this teaching of the soul it is not the primary benefactor that is the determining factor.

In mike's case it may be the lesson that the spirit can overcome the body's limitation. Hence, the saying "Physician, heal yourself" is not a retort but a lesson to the soul.