1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How dare the U.N. ask US for money

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Pyrion, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

The UN wants its building rebuilt, and they're gonna beg the United States to loan them the money.

I'd rant, but I'll let the article do that for me. :)
  2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

How about we move UN to West Bank? They support the Palestinians to much and cry foul everytime Israel breathes, why not there?
  3. Leopoldo Niilus

Leopoldo Niilus Registered User

Close the servants' quarters!

Why not

[sarc on] declare the United States of America as the "sole and legitimate representative" of the entire humankind and the states, nations and peoples it contains. Then ask the United Nations and other pretendedly international or regional organizations to pack up and get lost? [sarc off]

Wouldn't it simplify matters and cut out a lot of time consuming cackle?

Just an enquiry from a puzzled non US-American.

Humbly submitted

Leopoldo Niilus
  4. ethics

Re: Close the servants' quarters!

Cackle is too subtle, I'd prefer the word bullshit, from the masters of bullshit, the United Nations.

Which is the biggest oxymoron this world has.
  5. Leopoldo Niilus

Re: Re: Close the servants' quarters!

I have been probably misunderstood.

When I mentioned "cackle"I was referring to all those speaking about and against the United Nations and similar bodies.

I meant to say cut it out and when you say "jump" we all know that we have to ask "how high?".

Let me put it more brutally.

If one looks at the current US-American arrogance, its blindness of reality and its awesome military power, one is not quite sure which of them is more important.

However, the combination of all three of them is indeed most frightening. I repeat, most frightening.

And by this, I am NOT saying that what are being referred to today as terrorists are not frightening. So, please, no cheap comebacks - "then you are supporting terrorists", and blah - if possible.

I am sorry for being somewhat primitive but it seems to me that as of late nothing less registers. If anything.

P.S. And partial quotes from posts are cute, but won't take you too far. At least not too long.

6. ethics

Re: Re: Re: Close the servants' quarters!

You lost me with the arrogance. That piece coming from a European is old, Leopoldo. That arrogance line is played out so much that people in Europe use it without too much thought making them think they are above in their criticism and high horse and essentially making them in to stooge hypocrites.

And that blinding reality was seeing over 3,000 innocent people die in less than 2 hours.

Cut the bullshit with catch phrases like "arrogance" and perhaps Americans will start listening more? Just a guess there.

Now that's funny. As if I did that on purpose with your post in its entirety above mine? What's sad is that you actually thought so.
  7. jamming

jamming Banned

Leopoldo, many Americans view the UN as anti-Semitic and anti-American organization, as such it is really crazy to ask for special favors.
  8. Leopoldo Niilus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Close the servants' quarters!

As I said, it is useless.

Finally, it is up to the Americans to listen or not to listen. It just may be in their own interest. If "catch phrases" put them off and they feel they have to behave like vestal virgins in a whorehouse, so much the worse.

Do your best. Or your worst.

And let us continue with business as usual.

Keep smiling

PS. And if you claim there have been FLAMES in this thread up to now, I'll go to the Supreme Court. Of Florida

;) ;)

9. ethics

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Close the servants' quarters!

Rants and catch phrases puts anyone off, including the Europeans. But hey, it's much easier to point your finger at the US rather than tackle your own issues and how your country is just as much of a problem and not the solution. Show me one European country that's on higher ground and tell me why.

When United Nations is ready to tackle the global problems and not just issues which benefit or not benefit anti-Americanism, that's when the US will be ready to listen. We have problems, we have a mass of them, foreign policy is one of the best in years, however.
  10. Leopoldo Niilus

I take note of your point.

Still, I can't be held responsible for the views of Americans, few or many.

I remember when I studied in the Methodist University Law School of Dallas, Texas in 1961 I was told that the worst people were, in this order:

Niggers (that is how they put it then, sorry)

And that the UN was Communist, having a pale blue flag, as Israel had, and everyone of course new that the Israelis were Commies.

I didn't argue with the Americans then. I wouldn't now.

That is, if Texans are Americans. Ask Steve. :)

All the best

11. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

If the world thinks we are so arrogant and the UN condemns every move we make is it not time for them to declare their independence of us and move? I don't think it is the posters in this forum who are two faced.

Maybe it is time the US propose a resolution requiring the UN to move every 20 or so years to make sure one country is not corrupting the diplomats - I mean after all we are a sinful, violent society that should not be the atmosphere the UN operates in. I would rather they move to one of the more peaceful countries that their policies have created like Somalia.
  12. mikeky

mikeky Member

And of course, those attitudes were representative of all us arrogant Americans, then and now. We certainly wouldn't have wanted to change for the better.
  13. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Welcome back, Leopoldo. :)

14. Leopoldo Niilus

Yes, sah!!!

Problem with all these useless civilians...
  15. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Gee, I'm not sure what to make of that rejoinder. :)

If I may...

I do remember a time in the past, Leopoldo, where you stated you thought the US was the best show in town. I'm curious as to how you now think otherwise?

Every foreigner I've spoken with here on US soil--Asians, Bulgarians, Brits, Israelis, even a Frenchman!--said that when they first arrived in the US, they found that most Americans were in fact very kind and hospitable...not at all like they had expected, or perhaps experienced when they had met Americans abroad.

After a few years here in the US, they came to realize that Americans are actually smart; not every one, of course, but on an individual basis, they were perhaps more aware of how the world works. And the US has an instinctive collective intelligence that is subtle yet amazing. Americans are both self-aware and aware of the world outside.

To accuse the US and its citizens of mindless incompetence and arrogance could be much like that pot calling the kettle black, yes?

There's a reason the US is on top.

We're smart.

And no one will be able to even try to take the ring away from the US for another 40 years or so. There are always contenders...but no real challengers.

16. ethics

The cusp of the frustrations with our European friends.
  17. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Close the servants' quarters!

Boy, I hate to find myself in the position of defending the UN, since I have a lot of complaints and criticisms, But this thread is going off in crazy directions, with no specifics mentioned, a lot of ranting and raving -- perhaps based on a good dose of ignorance -- and little substance.

Be specific, Leon. That generality is useless, almost meaningless by itself. What specific problems do you have in mind? What should it be doing about them?

The UN does work on major problems of the world, every day. It has some successes and some failures, but it is working away on a day-to-day basis. Most of what it does does not make headlines here and is not very dramatic. I will mention just a few things.

It has, through peacekeeping missions stopped wars (e.g., UN mediation brought about an end to a bloody civil war in Tajikistan that had gone on for several years, for example. Both sides are now, with UN advisors still on the scene, working together and trying to rebuild the economy that was just about destroyed. (Also getting help from IMF and World Bank -- UN-affiliated organizations.) I have never seen a word about that in the US press. The UN has similar activities in a number of other places.

And incidentally, had the civil war not been settled through a power sharing arrangement, or had the Taliban-supported side won control, the US would not have been able to use bases in Tajikistan in the recent Afghanistan unpleasantness.

The UN also has UNESCO, doing good work. And UNICEF, the UN Development Program and more, much more. And let us not forget the World Health Organization. Lots of work is underway on improving educational opportunities, health and other things.

Major work is under way to develop ways of dealing with the growing worldwide fresh water problem -- a bad distribution of, and widespread misuse of, fresh water resources. This problem, which receives relatively little publicity, may be the source of future conflicts and wars. The UN will make a major push at getting nations to develop cooperative means of dealing with some of the issues in 2003, declared "The Year of Fresh Water" by a resolution adopted last year. The General Assembly is even now considering specific plans for what it will be doing.

All sorts of other things go on that you never hear of unless you pay close attention.

I suggest that you all take a trip to the UN web site and see what it is doing -- all of its components and related organizations, not just the ones that get a lot of press.

Home page at:

A detailed listing of activities is at:

That is the English language site -- it is also available in a few other languages, including Russian.

It is far from a perfect organization, and sometimes cumbersome in decision-making, and it sometimes adopts stupid proposals. That, unfortunately, is in the nature of all such organizations -- with members with widely different views and histories -- that reach decisions by some sort of voting mechanism.

That said, I will add that I think Leopoldo also is full of nonsense, spouting off a lot of the cliches of European nations that must hide their feebleness and inferiority by bashing America. But that's a whole different subject :)
  18. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Many years ago one of our Presidents had a dream. A dream that one day their would be a league of nations. An organization that would protect the member nations and insure lasting peace in world. However it seems that the United States clearly is not interested in working within the UN, but completely ignoring and bypassing it when the US does not like what it does. If the US is not working with the UN, then why should Iraq or any other country? By choosing not to work within the UN, of which we are a principal member, and had the ability to veto the membership of any country into the security counsel. We may as well just dissolve the UN because it now seems to be unable to perform the duty it was intended for except when the US back them up.
  19. ethics

Working with UN != bowing to UN's every wish.

Bob, good post, when I get home I'll be free to get very specific. May I pick the topic of Middle East in contrast with UN?
  20. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Leon, you can do what ever you like. But let me just point out that because things the UN has done in the Middle East are not to your liking (or mine, for that matter) does not provide justification for a wholesale blast that it is doing nothing useful. That is my main point -- it makes some kmistakes, it does some stupid things, sometimes evil members get their way, etc. But it also has successes and does work on many of the major problems facing the world -- and sometimes succeeds.