1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Can We Fix This?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ShinyTop, Jul 18, 2018.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

This being the prison system overpopulation. Last I read we had the largest percentage of population behind bars among all the free world. We also have he highest rate of recidivism in the world. So obviously our system is not working. I used to work with a Chief Warrant Officer who said we should have a one room jail. When convicted of any crime you are jailed. When the next person is convicted the first is shot and the second takes his place. While it would settle both the percentage jailed and the recidivism issues I am hoping the brilliant minds of GA can come up with something a little less violent.

How about a system where non-violent criminals' sentence is overnight jailing? They work their regular job thereby keeping their family together and off the dole, keeping their job but still have the humiliation of spending every night in jail. By keeping their job they are also earning money with which to pay restitution when called for. The overnight jails would require less security that most jails and would basically be dormitories. I foresee something like I had in basic training, open bays where 25-50 people slept in double decker cots and shared a common bathroom.

Ok, that is only one idea. I am sure the folks here will have others. Let's hear them. I am not familiar with systems in other free countries so if you are let us hear how they work. The goal is fewer people in jail and less people returning to jail after finishing their sentences.

2. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Anecdote:

Years ago I worked at an Elby's Big Boy restaurant in a small town in Ohio. We had a waitress who got her license suspended for one reason or another, but she kept driving. The town was only about 12,000 people, so the cops got to know certain people and the cars they drove. They knew she was still driving, and every time they saw her, they wrote a ticket. It finally got to the point that she was facing 30 days in jail. She begged the judge for weekday time so she could still work weekends, because that was the best time for tips. Judge said, "OK, that makes sense. See you Tuesday."

She drove herself to jail. :rolf-53::pull_hair-56:

I don't disagree with you at all.

I think one idea that's had its chance is the idea of private prisons. They need to go away. They're a business, and any business needs a constant supply of raw material--in this case, prisoners. Without prisoners, a prison company will go out of business. I suspect that if we were able to track a lot of the political money that gets tossed around, we'd find a lot of it flowing from CoreCivic, GEO, and other companies into lobbying efforts to create more crimes.

3. Arc

Arc Full Member

We can't fix it. I've said this several times over the years here. It's probably the only societal problem of significance I ever encountered that has no fix and I have no answer or suggestions of substance. I wish that I did. The only good thing about prisons, (and to folks, in general, please don't confuse jails with prisons), is it keeps a lot of bad people that society is safer when they are incarcerated than when they are free.

We have the second highest per capita incarceration rate in the world but the most prisoners. We are battling it out for second place per capita only because El Salvador occasionally beats us out.

If we are honest I think that we have to admit although there are serious problems with our prisons and areas of the judicial system the first and foremost problem behind all of the above is our society. The structure of our society in the past 40 years has been on a continuous downhill slide. I will let the readers determine if they think that is true and what if anything that can be done about it.

In support of my thesis that first and foremost it is a societal problem is the fact that the majority of people in prison, (prison not jail), deserve to be in prison. But...other than protecting those of us that are free in society and deserve to be free, prison does nothing else constructive. In fact, IMO most people that are sentenced to high-security prisons come out of prison a far worse person than they were before they went to prison. The younger they are when they go in the worse the impact.

It sucks.

Allene, BigDeputyDog and ethics like this.
  4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Agreed with Arc.

America is too big and not nationalistic enough for the culture to melt in to one. So you will have this as long as you have an immigrant society and minorities.

I am not pro or anti immigrants, just stating a fact.

Allene likes this.
  5. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

First of all, get the Black Leaders to actually lead. As in convince the YBM that an early death or prison is not your most likely fate.

Second, let's cut back on the number of laws. Too many jailable offenses. This is not to be confused with California's Prop 47, which decriminalizes many crimes and downgrades many felonies to misdemeanors.

Third, work from the bottom up. NYC went from a shithole to a nice place to live when the mayor (Dinkins?) started enforcing the minor crimes to the max so the youth don't start there and graduate to more serious crimes.

Fourth, let's not make prisons recruiting halls for gangs and cartels. maybe segregate non-violent first offenders from the violent/lifers/repeat offenders.

Fifth, while in prison, work on helping the inmate to have the skills and mindset to not fall into the trap that leads to reoffending.

Sixth, let's not stigmatize ex-cons. Get them working in a good paying job and they won't have a reason to reoffend.

Seventh, ex-cons get relocated away from where they lived before. Not to foist them off on another town or city, but to get them away from the family/friends/situations that raise the chance of reoffending.

Eighth, repeat offenders do not come out. Period. Wall them up, naked in basically a concrete bowl, fling food over the wall every now and then, let them have at each other.