1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can so many scientists have been so wrong?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Mar 11, 2016.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Always reminds me the hubris scientists have and my massive problem with it. Not with Science (capital S) but with scientists.

Take for example the theory of "Ego Depletion" which holds that humans have a finite supply of willpower: the more we struggle against some temptations, the more vulnerable we are to others. The effect has been “confirmed” by hundreds of studies. But a closer look suggests that the studies merely confirm the bias of the researchers. Imagine? Bias of human beings... in science.

The bigger deal for me than this is that a Left leaning site like Slate broke this.

A Whole Field of Psychology Research May Be Bunk. Scientists Should Be Terrified.

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

Frankly, the cookie eaters probably had more energy to keep on going than the ones who nibbled on radishes.

ethics likes this.
  3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

From: Psychology’s reproducibility problem is exaggerated – say psychologists

When psychologists create credibility issues, is it any small wonder that many are reluctant to seek help when needed?

ethics likes this.