1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Bad Can It Get?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Coot, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I posted a link to this NY Times Article in another thread, but I think this deserves its own discussion. Granted, this business probably could have survived quite nicely for a few more years before it was sold off, but the selloff just serves to emphasize some of the more egregious practices in many of our communities today. And while this takes place in a smaller community, I can assure you that it absolutely answers the question as to why money is leaving cities....or has already left.

For an economy to work, one must have something of value to offer. The U.S. economy clearly has less and less of that to offer each year. Oh sure, we've filled the gap with services, but our substantial trade deficit continues unabated. Those same services we've filled the gap with are now becoming largely available in foreign countries for less cost...else, why would Bill Gates be giving large sums of money to India, where he's building his next Redmond?

What is truly tragic, is that most of us don't see this happening. What we see is that the economy is down and we can't figure out why no one is hiring someone with our obvious abilities. High tech jobs continue to be outsourced and manufacturing jobs continue to go to immigrants, both legal and illegal.

As a global economy and NAFTA continue to stretch this country thinner and thinner in an attempt to give our prosperity to the whole continent, the backbone of this country continues to be attrited, and we're approaching the point that it can no longer sustain itself...much less the whole continent. The Tyler Texas model, is already being repeated throught the U.S.
    The model is being replicated in a large number of plants around the country. Are they doing this because they're being conspiritorial? Nope, they're just trying to maximize income prior to being forced to relocate to Mexico or Guatemala.

A free trade zone between the U.S. and our border nations removes legal objections to relocating a facility to another country and serves notice on American workers that they really are of no significant value other than what they produce and that production can be had for 10 cents on the dollar elsewhere.

While we sit somewhat comfortable in our shangrila, are we so shortsighted that we see not what we bequeath our children? Being good and forthright and relentless in the pursuit of our jobs has a value associated with it that many of us do not see...namely, that many companies are willing to trade that for one or two people to do the same job for 30% the wage and half the knowledge...it's a good tradeoff.
    Who's Next?

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Coot, from what you are saying we are either already doomed or we will have to undergo one hell of a downhill ride before it will get better. If we started changing things today we would suffer inflation like never before. It does not look pretty and I do not have anything to dispute it with. Funny thing is, the whole world will tank if we do. After all, can you imagine the economies of the world without us to sell to?

3. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

So what do we convert the workers at Tyler Pipe to do? If not that job under decent conditions, what? The Japanese model certainly does not seem to have worked as Steve's threads have pointed out. The Pacific Rim seems to be the new powerhouse in the coming century and we could very well be left behind. An ironic fate indeed.