1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How accurate are rape investigations?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Biker, May 2, 2012.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

It's been one of those mornings. The first thing that caught my eye was an article from CNN about the Justice Department doing an investigation in Montana. Apparently there's a concern that 80 rape cases weren't investigated thoroughly. Whoa! 80? Unfortunately, the article doesn't give a time span for the allegations, but I thought that 80 was awfully high.

That got me to thinking, and I did a quick search for the University with the highest allegations of rape. And this jewel was #5 in the results.

I started with a quick scan, and it became apparent that this gem needed some careful reading. Especially when I saw this:

Did you know that sex offenses are the only crimes where corroborating evidence is not required for conviction? It invariably becomes a case of "she said, he said", and hinges on the credibility of the accused and accuser.

There are very few studies that try to determine the actual validity of rape allegations. But the few studies that have been done, it was found that nearly 50% of all rape allegations turn out to be false. And even worse, very little is done to the accuser when the allegation is proven to be false. At most, the false allegation is a misdemeanor and the accuser is given a slap on the wrist.

Yet the accused will most likely be irreparably harmed in the process. And even if the accuser drops the allegation, many will believe the retraction was "pressured," and not true. Sound familiar? Even after the allegations in the Duke rape case were proven wrong, Nifong still thought the players were guilty.

Heaven forbid if you question the validity of a rape charge. The howls of outrage will come from all quarters. Even when the evidence shows that the accused couldn't have possibly been responsible for the crime, you have the usual suspects crying about how unfair it is that the individual was able to get off. It has become politically correct to crucify anyone accused of virtually any sexual offense, regardless of the evidence.

Any bets that the 156 exonerations are but a tip of the iceberg? And what about the accuser in those 156 cases? Think they feel any remorse? Obviously not, considering they allowed an innocent man sit in jail for something they knew didn't happen.

It's time that some serious questions be leveled at the very system that is supposed to protect both accused and accuser alike. The laws need to be changed regarding false accusations. No more misdemeanors. Make a false allegation about rape? You should face the same punishment that the accused would get if found guilty.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  2. Biker

Unreal. Nearly 10 years later, she recants her allegation AFTER he's released from prison. And she doesn't want to go public (too late sweet cheeks!) because she received $1.5 million and doesn't want to pay it back.

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

That's just horrible, and it looks like she'll get away with taking away 10 years of this young man's life!

4. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

I was stunned about this one. I really want to know more about the case and the kid, He's trying to sue the state - not his ex-friend, but the state - over his imprisonment.

I were him, I'd be going after her and her mom. I know which pockets are deeper though.

5. Biker

Saw this thread in the logs and decided to do a bit more searching to see if anything developed.

Wanetta Gibson accused Banks when she was 15. Her family received a 1.5 million dollar settlement from the Long Island school district. As you might guess, the money is long gone, and Gibson is on welfare. There have been no attempts to prosecute her for the false allegation, nor has there been an attempt to get the money back.

There are times when I seriously have doubts about our justice system.

6. Biker

And yet another conviction based on a possible lie.

Vallejo man to get new trial after evidence girl lied about rape

And, of course, if he's found totally innocent, nothing will be done to the mother.

7. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Absurd. How can there be no punishment for false reports? Just absurd

Allene and ethics like this.
  8. anajames

anajames Full Member

there should be punishment for those bring up false claims of rape. If a rape victim goes through trauma when raped, i think the same would be the feeling for a person who is alleged to have rape but did not.

ethics and Allene like this.
  9. Biker

10. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Rape is the new card. I don't doubt it happens, but 10%? Give me a fucking break.

11. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

We live in a different world than I grew up in. When I was in my teens-twenties you did not ask a girl permission to kiss her. But if she did not want a kiss she communicated that and I honored her wishes. Today kissing a girl without asking first in some circles is sexual assault. So I guess I am saying the definition of rape as probably moved also. I do not doubt that some consider it rape if the female did not initiate it.

I think the biggest question is impairment. What degree of impairment implies inability to validly consent?

12. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Some of my FB friends are in higher ed in Michigan, and somewhat involved with Title IX stuff. Plus I pay attention to some fo the cases because of what amounts to official misconduct. The people who run the administrative and Title IX "investigations" into sex complaints are usually completely clueless about how to conduct an investigation. My impression is that most approach a complaint by automatically believing everything the woman says. There have been cases where a man was assaulted (she initiated oral sex while he was unconscious), and he got suspended.

I can believe the harassment numbers, but not the assault numbers.

ethics likes this.
  13. Arc

Arc Full Member

When it comes to sex, believe nothing from anybody about anything, (alleged perp or alleged victim or claimed witnesses)...well at least be somewhat skeptical at the starting gate.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  14. Biker

Not only that, but what if they're both impaired? Do you still crucify the male in this case?

15. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

We make drivers bear the consequences of drinking before they drive. Yes, alcohol reduces the ability to make good decisions for both male and female. I see the disparity but do not know the solution when both partners are impaired but the man can be charged with rape.

16. Allene

Allene Registered User

The local university had a case several years ago of two intoxicated people in the act right next to a wide open window. The female fell out of the window and was very seriously injured. Who knows if it was a rape. I doubt either one could remember clearly the next day.

17. Biker

Unreal. Absolutely unreal.

Title IX Enforcement Is Such a Mess Right Now

Seems our previous Administration can be tied directly to the absolute bullshit that universities are coming up with when it comes to investigating abuse incidents.