1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hostages perished from gas?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by halldor, Oct 26, 2002.

1. halldor

halldor Registered User

Have hostages perished from gas that was used by units of special

PAP 26/20/2002 PAP is official Polish Press Agency

The Ekho Moskvy radion station announced on Suturday in the
    afternoon, that the majority of dead casualties among the hostages
    were't not killed by terrorists, but have choked on their own vomit
    as the consequence of using poisonous gas by special forces.

The radio station cites Valery Tsikayev, the producent of music show
    Nord-Ost, who said that he was himself in the concert hall and saw
    some dead bodies there. All doctors confirmed, asked by the radio
    station confirm taht the hostages passed away as the result of gas
    poisoning and not from bullet wounds.

The Russian Interior Ministry flatly denies this information.
  2. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

About 90 dead hostages. What a solution? to the drama by the Russians. The hostage takers had started killing however as they had threatened to do. If they hadn't gone in all hotages may have been killed. Dramatic pictures of the scene in the theatre after the raid. Including women with explosives strapped on them dead in the seats they were sitting in when the Russians went in. From gas or bullets , it wasn't clear.
  3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I think there are more dead hostages than 90 reported. I wouldn't be surprised if the toll was like 120.
  4. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

The first report I saw said they used poison gas. And I thought, how rediculous. Why would you use that with all those hostages in there.

Then I saw it on TV being reported as "sleeping gas".

Thank god it's over. My condolences to all those involved.
  5. jamming

jamming Banned

It was probably something like CM which is a tear-vomit inducing gas that is designed to incapacitate quickly.
  6. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

From ABC.com, not only has the death toll increased (and will likely continue to rise), but all save one of the hostages who has died has died from the gas...

7. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

More pundits are weighing in as to the nature of the gas used.
    I don't expect the Russian government to be too forthcoming as to the exact nature of the agent, but I am convinced that they saved more lives from having used it.
  8. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

I expect the political fallout over the next few days will force Putin to disclose the name of a gas that was used (not necessarily the one that was actually used).
  9. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Perhaps Sadam could tell us what gas was used.
  10. ethics

Official: Gas Killed 115 Moscow Siege Hostages

I guess I was close to my instincts on this whole affair.

All but two of the 117 hostages so far confirmed dead in the Moscow theater siege died of gas poisoning, the city's top doctor said Sunday.

Full Story

1. The hostages were not being executed as Russia stated.

2. The gas used was NOT sleeping gas. People in those percentages do not die of sleeping gas.

3. We will never know IF the Chechen were ever going to execute people or try to negotiate.

4. What Russia once again proved was that it will not negotiate with terrorists and is willing to sacrifice their own people with no qualms.
  11. halldor

halldor Registered User

Re: Official: Gas Killed 115 Moscow Siege Hostages

We don't even know if this was a Chechen gang. Most of the participants seem to have been foreign, and led by a paid mercenary.

The gas used was probably carbon monoxide.
  12. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

I believe the Russians did what needed to be done, in order to bring the situation to an end.

As in any game, one cannot be victorious playing by the rules, when your opponent has no rules.
  13. halldor

halldor Registered User

The trouble is, though, that bringing the situation to an end is precisely what the Russian authorities have NOT done. By refusing to give information about the gas that was used, and by isolating the hundreds of surviving hostages from their relatives and the outside world, they are prolonging the situation, so that people are now saying: "the survivors are hostages of the Russian state."

Also, this isn't a game.
  14. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

What I'm seeing is the following:

The Russian gov't put an end to a hostage situation by killing all the hostage takers, 130 of the 700 hostages, and keeping the surviving hostages isolated from their families while they remain in hospitals, fighting for their lives because the gov't will NOT release the information on what exactly was in the gas mixture they used to poison everyone.

They stopped a hostage situation by killing everyone. Sure, it worked - but they didn't exactly rescue the hostages, which defeats the whole purpose of a rescue mission.

I think what the russian gov't did was send out a clear message: don't take hostages because they're not worth much to us, and we WILL kill them to get to you.
  15. ethics

Yeppers. :(
  16. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Not being a SWAT or SF type I am wondering what could be done to take out the terrorists before they set off the bombs. Not commenting by this on what they did, but I do wonder what could have been done without meeting their demands.
  17. ethics

Storm the place with guns ablazing?

Sources say that the place was not wired with bombs as previously stated by the hostages (duress?). How many of the captors can shoot in that time before they are shot dead?
  18. ShinyTop

I did not know the bombs were not there. But did the Swat teams? You make plans on what you know or are led to believe. You attempt to verify, then you take whatever action is needed. If the police felt the bombs were there what were their choices?
  19. ethics

Surely you go by what you are told.

However, this would have been Israelis method, infra-red monitoring of body heat and positioning. Studying the movement and the physical geographics of people, pinpointing, once again, to the captors. You then set up entry ways and targets when you storm in.
  20. ShinyTop

Now that is what I was asking!