1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homeland Bill

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Nov 20, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Unless you live underground you saw that the Senate passed the bill for Homeland Security.

Anyone see the last minute politics?

For instance, the Senate could have stripped out some of the indefensible provisions tucked into the measure by the House last week. But it refused as it approved passage with uncharacteristic haste. Some unjustified items:

* The pharmaceutical industry, which donated $35 million to the last two political campaigns, would gain protection from lawsuits over adverse side effects of vaccines. Conveniently, the restrictions would be retroactive, terminating injury cases that are already in the courts.

* Makers of faulty bomb detectors, gas masks or other anti-terrorism devices would be granted immunity from liability, even in cases of intentional wrongdoing.

* Companies could cover up violations of the law by hiding behind new restrictions on access to government information.

* A provision inserted by incoming House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, would hand Texas A & M University the first department grant: a homeland-security research center.

Uhm, anyone else feeling a bit insecure about the above?

2. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

I sure feel a bit strange. I may end up working for the new Department, whether I want to or not. I cannot fault Bushy too much, though. I was hired by his daddy. But, the last minute add ons SUCK OUTLOUD!! Texas A&M was no doubt a campaign promise, as was the protection to Lilly. Hopefully, the next session on Congress will take the (what will be) new Public Law back for repeal of certain parts, once they convene in January. Even some Republicans did not agree with the last minute add on provisions. SAD very SAD.

3. jamming

jamming Banned

This is against all legal procedure and will be reversed by the courts. Seems someone in the Congress got ambitious if this is reported correctly. You can't make laws to cover-up past mistakes, there is a legal term for this but I can't remember what it is.

4. ethics

btdude, I didn't know you worked for the Feds. ;)

Jim, I didn't know it was unconstitutional? Jedi(or anyone), is there a legal term for this?

5. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

First off, I wish we'd stop referring to these as donations. They are legal BRIBES!

I am going to go against the general opinion on this and say that I understand why they did this. Perhaps there are things I've not thought through well enough, so point them out if I'm missing something obvious.

Any company that researches and develops a vaccine should, in my opinion, be immune to lawsuits by people who experience side effects. I would, of course, make exceptions. For example, if a company knew about a side effect and did not publically announce it, they are liable. If they manipulated test data or did any other similar, unethical things to push their product before it was ready, they should be liable.

How can we expect these companies to spend millions of dollars researching vaccines, then hold them liable for side effects that develop in people decades later? Even if every family was awarded a measley $1,000,000 each, that company is automatically bankrupt. Gone is their current research and development.

Again, if a company hides or manipulates research that shows their product to cause harm to people, then they should be liable. However, I don't see how this provision passed by the House will prevent that. Am I the only big business, heartless, republican scumbag in here??? :)

6. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

If one has to wear a T-shirt proclaiming oneself to be a genius, chances are that person is not a genius.

Passage of this bill does not make us more secure.

However, I greatly enjoy the provisions that remove the people within the new department from civil service protections. That, along with a growing move to privatize many federal services and functions, gives me hope for a more efficient government.

7. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

I don't mind them handing it off to Texas A&M. I would've felt a hell of a lot more uncomfortable had they handed it off to some dungheap like UC Berserkley.

8. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

I believe the term is called <B>modern politics</B>.

9. ethics

Re: Re: Homeland Bill

Ah but see my boldened text.

10. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo