1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

home cooking

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sam, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Sam

Sam Cute and cuddly!

I am the type that loves to cook a great meal for my family.
    (Unfortunately I don't have the time to do so as often as I would like.)

I felt it would be nice to share some recipes with yall and possibly get some new ones for myself also.

The first one I am posting is very time consuming, however well worth it. I think it is probably my families favorite.

Spaghetti & Meatballs

Sauce
    1 onion chopped
    2 sticks celery chopped
    1 bell pepper chopped
    6 garlic cloves chopped
    3 tsp. olive oil
    2 tsp. parsley flakes
    1 large can tomato puree
    5 cans tomato sauce (8oz. Cans)
    1 C. dry red wine (Chiante is best for this purpose)
    3 tsp. salt
    1 Tbs. sugar
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1/8 tsp. ground cloves
    1 Tbs. parmesan cheese
    1 tsp. rosemary
    1 tsp. oregano
    1 tsp. basil
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp. Italian seasoning
    Bring to a boil and simmer while preparing meatballs.

Meatballs
    2 to 3 lbs. Ground beef (sirlion is best)
    Make paste of cracker crumbs, & egg. Add to ground beef. Season with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning or basil, parmesan cheese. Add bread crumbs. Shape to balls and brown in small amount of olive oil to prevent sticking if needed.

Drop balls into sauce and simmer 4 hours. ( can do in crock pot if desired once sauce has thickened.)

Optional : Add sliced mushrooms, &/or black olives and simmer 10 minutes before serving.

Before serving remove bay leaf.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Which reminds me of something I needed to add to the forum...

3. jamming

jamming Banned

Darn, now I am hungry for Pasta. Sounds really good Sam.

4. Sam

Sam Cute and cuddly!

I thought you might like the idea.:)

5. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I'll offer that this spaghetti recipe of Sam's is the very best I've ever had... ever. It has real old-world Italian pop to it, and the aroma will drive everyone in your house crazy while it's simmering.

It's wonderful with chianti and french bread.

I like to take the meatballs leftovers and make meatball subs with a bit of swiss. The leftover sauce from that goes well on subsequent spaghetti without meatballs.

It's a-spicy meat-a-balls-a!

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I am a sucker for Italian food. I will try this on Saturday.

7. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

Wow this looks great! This puts my Mom's recipe to shame... and she never remebered to removed the damn bay leaf!

8. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

Oh, and just out of curiosity -- how many people should this serve? 5 cans of tomato sauce, plus the cup of wine, and 2-3 lbs of ground beef sounds like a lot of food.

9. Copzilla

This will serve probably 8-10 hungry adults. But the thing is, it's even better two days later, when the spices have had a chance to marinate, and all that. The leftovers are great on meatball subs and stuff as mentioned, so too much is a good thing.

If cooking for two, though, you might want to halve the recipe.

10. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Almost <i>any</i> tomato-based dish is far better the second time around... and third... and so on... and...

Things like this sauce also freeze beautifully! :)

**Edit** By the way - regarding bay leaves, the time to remove them from any recipe is when you're finished cooking it. Otherwise the flavor becomes overpowering.

In addition, I've got a great tip for you folks. You can literally wash the bay leaf, rinse well, let it dry again, and reuse it with no effect on flavor. This can be done as long as the leaf remains in a reasonably-sized usable piece, and will flavor just as well as the first time...

11. Sam

Sam Cute and cuddly!

Yes it makes alot I have a habit of inviting company every time I make it to help cut the leftovers down to a bowl I can fit in the fridge. And yes of course you can freeze it. But around our house it doesn't ever last long enough to even think about freezing it.

12. Copzilla

LOL! That ain't no doubt. I walk around the house looking like a tick for about a week... LOL! ;)