1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holy Crap! Time Magazine's Person(s) of the year!

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by -Ken, Dec 22, 2002.

1. -Ken

-Ken Guest

In a striking move that reminded me of the year Time Magazine voted the Personal Computer the "man of the year" Time has given the award to three "whistle blowers" which seems to make the statement that "squealing" is now admirable. In this case, I would have to concur.

Read all about it here.

2. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Squealing is such a derogatory word for what these women did. I'm surprised that so much anger was directed to them - instead of the idiots they were working for, who did all the screwing up. I think these women showed courage when no one else did, and thanks to them just doing their jobs, a lot of damage has been avoided. I don't think Enron would have fixed these problems on it's own - the SEC needed to get involved. And the FBI agent only confirmed what many of us already knew. Bravo to these ladies.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I will have to side with Misu on this and I applauf for the Times to recognize them in such a way.

Good news finally. :)

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Read Ken's post again. He agreed with the selection.

5. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Thank you Shiny, I did wholeheartedly agree with the selection.
    What these people did took a lot of (if you'll pardon the expression) balls. We could use many more like them!

6. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Bravo. We need more like that.

7. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Yah I knew that :) I was posting my disagreement with how the article labeled these women.

8. jamming

jamming Banned

Maybe Misu, they were labeling them to show that Squealing is not the bad thing that kids are taught, That it is important to be honest, even if it is squealing.

9. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Oh, my, in a follow up to this story, it would seem that the guy Coleen Rowley blew the whistle on, Marion Bowman, was just one of nine people in the bureau given an award and substantial cash bonus for "exceptional performance."

Story Here.

10. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

As bad as things turned out to be and continue to turn out to be, they could have turned out worse if not spotted when they were.

11. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I also agree with the choice. It takes people with strong morals and a lot of self-esteem and self-respect to "squeal" in our anti-tattletale society. Why do people think it makes it less wrong if someone besides the victim reports the crime?