1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hinderance??

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Biker, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

<a href="http://www.msnbc.com/news/854722.asp?0dm=N16MN" target="blank">It appears that Al Sharpton is looking to join the presidential race as a Democrat</a>. Seems to me that the Democrats would be screaming bloody blue murder to get him NOT to run on their ticket.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

He is a virus to any party he tries to have ties with.

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

If there was enough money in it he might run as a Republican. Any Democrats here want to take up a collection? :)

4. yazdzik

yazdzik Veteran Member

Dear Friends,
    Having read his book, and just done as best a search as I can, I can turn up no information upon what qualifications he possesses to hold public office.
    Am I missing something salient, or is it now true, that a la Bloomberg, anyone with backing and eccentricity can be elected to office?
    Is there no desire for discipline and achievement?
    Please, in all sincerity, correct me, but does Mr Sharpton eve hold a job?
    Is this intended seriously, or is it a publicity gimmick?
    I am not being sarcastic, I simply am led to believe from the bald facts, that this is a way to live off public funds while producing nothing.
    Were I to solicit campaign funding suffcient to live for the next three years, would I be taken seriously as a candidate?
    Where is the dignity of his position?

Yazdzik

5. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

That is the irony, is it not? By the way, how much of unspent campaign money are candidates allowed to keep? And how deeply is it looked into? No accusations, just curious.

6. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I don't know if it qualifies as a 'job', but he does provide more than his share of comic relief.

7. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

He has no dignity, in my opinion, Martin. Somehow, some way, he <i>would</i> be stopped from running. That would be all it would take to convince the entire populace that the Democratic Party is indeed a cruel joke... <small>(... those that aren't already convinced, that is...)</small> :(

8. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

My son, who voted for Bush in 2000, has said he will vote against
    Bush in 2004, no matter who runs against him. This is due to Bush's religious agenda. I somewhat share his view although I draw the line at Gore again or Hilary. However, I respect his intelligence enough to say he would vote against Sharpton no matter who ran agains him.

Please dems, come up with a moderate. Give us a choice.

9. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Personally, I hope John Edwards can work on an exciting campaign. He is a far, far better choice than Hilary or Gore, not to even mention, God forbid, a Sharpton or a Jackson!!!

10. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Gosh, if Al can run, then maybe I will, too. The Dems could use a centrist hawk on their ticket for once.

Of course, I have no war chest and am generally loathe to generate much in the way of adverse publicity, so that runs against me almost as much as the fact that no one would vote for me.

SM

11. yazdzik

yazdzik Veteran Member

Really?

12. Sierra Mike

Really.

SM

13. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Martin's signature comes to mind right about now. rofl

14. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Gee whiz. Why is everyone picking on the good Rev. Al, and questioning his qualifications. My recollection is that the Constitution requires only that someone be age 35 and born in this country to qualify -- and then they must be elected.

So if you don't like the candidates who offer themselves, run yourself. What the hell, all you need to do is raise $100 million or so, put up with all the slimebags who populate professional politics and not get too many people pissed off at you. (That last rules Steve out, though.)

15. Sierra Mike

As far as I know, the only person who's really pissed with me is the one who hit the bricks. :) But I am an equal-opportunity hate target, so let's not allow this vacuum to exist for long, shall we?

SM

16. pcysmith

pcysmith Paula

I can't imagine any scenario in which Al Sharpton would win a primary let alone get the nomination. If there's a bigger gasbag out there, I don't know who it could be..........unless of course Don King were to throw his hat into the ring.

On second thought, wouldn't the two of them make for a great winning ticket?:haha

17. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

I hate to defend Al Sharpton in any way, because I think he's an opportunistic, amoral, exploitative charlatan.
    But.
    He didn't get the nickname "Reverend 911" for nothing. There are many people in this city (in some communities in this city) who look to Reverend Al because absolutely no one else cares about them or their needs. They see white politicians as crooks, just as much as Sharpton is, and they know that Sharpton is at least on their side.
    Sharpton will never get my vote. He'll never get my support. But it's possible that having him in the race will bring some attention to the problems of people in places like East New York, Bed-Stuy, Harlem, and Castle Hill.
    It's easy to write off Sharpton as a gasbag, and a clown. But it's more important to look at the huge crowds of people who come out to hear him preach, who support him, who call his office (and actually get their calls answered) for help with their landlords, or their sons who are in jail, or the drug dealers in the hallways of their buildings.

18. pcysmith

pcysmith Paula

You make a good point