1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Highschool BBall player's career ruined

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Misu, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/news/2003/01/31/james_ineligible_ap/

The crimes?

1 - he accepted a 50k car that HIS MOTHER bought him.

2 - he accepted 2 jerseys (valued at 850 bucks) from a clothing store in his home town as gifts.

The rule he broke? As an athlete, he's not allowed to accept any gifts that were given to him because he's an athlete.

Good thing professional basketball players don't have to worry about that stupid rule, eh? The kid won't be able to play basketball at ANY NCAA college, so basically he's going to go pro once he graduates.

How's that for a kick in the pants?

Once this kid goes pro, he's up for a 20 million dollar contract with either Nike or Adidas... :nut:

2. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Ok, a read of the article shows he's being ruled ineligible on the 2 jerseys only:

"On Monday, Muscaro ruled that James would not lose his eligibility for accepting a custom-made Hummer H2 vehicle -- valued at about $50,000 -- as an 18th birthday gift from his mother.

Gloria James provided loan information to support her purchase."

Now this has come up before and while I don't expect the mother or the son to know the rules, I certainly expect the coach to know them. Why did he not explain them to all concerned? Why is he not on the hot seat? If I was in charge, he'd be made to answer some tough questions. As for the kid's H. S. career ruined, so what? In the large scheme of things, does it really matter? We don't care about him, don't you know. He's a throwaway. Give him the money at an age when he can't handle it, before he has enough education and social skills to make the right choices, and who cares about this anyway? It's all about the money. Get it? Money!!!

Like we cared about Len Bias.

3. EricaZ98

EricaZ98 Veteran Member

What the hell? I never ever heard such a rule of not being allowed to except gifts from people, other than those trying to get you to pick their schools to play for. And I played high school basketball. This is absurd. Professional athletes and actors/musicians get free shit all the time. So what if he got 2 free jerseys. What a way to ruin a kids career so young. This is just... I dont know.. but it irritates me to hell

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

You have to have all inclusive rules about gifts or no rules. Anything in between is impossilbe to administer. Anybody giving a gift could acting as an agent for someone. And it was a sporting goods store, somebody who could easily have ties to schools wishing to recruit the young man. I think we need laws with huge fines for the organization and agents that do this kind of thing. They know better, at least more than a high school student.

5. IamZed

IamZed ...

He already announced he would not attend college. He has lost nothing at all, but the personal benefits of having the coach show you how to cheat at a higher education.

6. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Misu, Lebron James never intended to go to college. He is expected to be the overall #1 pick in the NBA draft. Of course, I'm sure he would like to at least finish playing his senior season.

In my opinion, the James family is guilty only of total ignorance and bad judgment, especially with regards to the Hummer Lebron received as a "gift."

Lebron James and his family are going to be extremely wealthy before Lebron even steps foot on an NBA court. Nike is planning on giving him a $20,000,000 endorsement contract, and I'm sure there will be many others, not to mention a fat salary from the franchise he ends up playing for.

Lebron James is being prostituted. His basketball games are televised on pay-per-view, and ticket prices for games where he plays are drastically increased. If he is not eligible to play for the remainder of this season, a lot of people will be losing money. I'm sure they won't allow that to happen.

7. spg

spg Registered User

And all he has to do is step off a curb and tear up some tendons and ligaments.

If mom's not broke now, she will be. He won't be playing in high school anymore, he'll be playing in a league where everyone else is as good as he is.

He is being prostituted. By mom and everyone else involved. He broke the rules. He needs to abide by them and those around him that have exploited him should be punished, too.