1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"HI Brits, you have better economy than us, Pay us 1.7 Billion -- EU

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Oct 25, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

The request for the money, which is about 1.7 billion pounds, came after a recalculation of data showed that the British economy performed better in recent years than previously thought. That suggested that its payments into the European Union budget should rise according to the bloc’s formula for contributions. The payment would come in addition to Britain’s annual payment of about $13.8 billion to the bloc’s treasury.

In a country where membership in the European Union has become contentious, the demand is being portrayed as a punishment for Britain’s relative economic success compared with the performance of its neighbors on the Continent.

Speaking at a news briefing at a European Union summit meeting in Brussels, Mr. Cameron described the additional fee as “unjustified” and said Britain would refuse to pay it.

“If people think I am paying that on Dec. 1 — no, that is not happening,” said Mr. Cameron, who added that European finance ministers would meet to review the calculations used to come up with what he called a “vast” sum of taxpayers’ money.

Reminds me of the local townships re-calculating the value of your house and then applying a new tax formula where you get it up the ass. The difference stops as UK is not part of the EU and I am perplexed as to why they even have to pay (fuck the trade).

The European Union model is a fucking joke.

http://nyti.ms/1tj7aAh

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

They are and they aren't. One of the concessions that the EU made was the UK gets to keep it's currency. For all intents and purposes, the UK is part of the EU, but they've been threatening to leave it from day one.

3. Greg

Greg Full Member

Could it be possible that the British are smarter than the rest of Europeans? First clue: Britain didn't adopt the Euro as its official currency.

4. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Seems like the EU hasn't been paying much attention to the polls in Britain. Or, maybe, they don't care. Or perhaps, they actually want the UK out.

5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

The EU is so full of itself, I'm sure they feel that the UK will stay in the end. I'm not so sure and there have been promises of a referendum by 2015. I suspect they'll vote to get the hell out and thumb their noses at the EU arrogance that permeates the politics there.

6. Greg

Greg Full Member

I had the idea that the ECM was a bad idea from the beginning. No matter I wasn't informed about the issues. It was just a feeling. Sorry, I can't explain it. To me it was like a whole bunch of people in lifeboats climbing aboard the Titanic.

IMO the British are idiots if they don't bail.