1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey New Yorkers

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ShinyTop, Dec 10, 2002.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

This article is about New York facing a possible transit strike next week. In it your mayor appears to expect people who start driving cars to stop and pick up riders at specified points. And if I read the article correctly, it would appear cars with less than 4 people riding (2 on weekends) will not be allowed. While I applaud the mayor seeking to use the community loyalty and pride to help solve this potential problem I bet the law offices of New York firms are scanning resumes as we speak for more lawyers to help the case load after anybody with an unpleasant experience sues the city. Will this work or am I excessively pessimistic?

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

You are excessively pessimistic. It has worked before, I believe. I do not think there is a basis for lawsuits, either. State of emergency will exist, etc., and people are not blocked from going where they want, they just are blocked from certain routes, means of transit, etc. Inconvenienced and it may take more time than normal to get from one place to another, but you are not really prevented from doing anything.

I think the restriction on using cars with less than x passengers applies to bridges, onloy, although I may be wrong on that.

Overall, a big pain in the ass though I have to dig out my most comfortable walking shoes this week. :)

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

No, you are realistic. This strike, if it happens, will be more devastating, financially, than the tragedy of 9.11. I am speaking that the strike goes on for at least a week.

I'll probably bunk with my brother at Pavonia though. Will have my laptop with me. :)

4. ethics

It's not just bridges Bob, but any route (bridges & tunnels ) in to Manhattan, which is where majority of NYers work.

5. Robert Harris

They can join me walking then, or learn to carpool.

6. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Wow, I wouldn't pick up anyone I didn't know just to be able to get to work. What is the mayor thinking? Is he going to have the city compensate any drivers who are carjacked under this plan?

I miss Guilliani.

7. Robert Harris

I don't. He was sure lucky that the Saudi's attacked the WTC. He was pretty much politically dead and a figure of ridicule by then, and was saved by the media attention he got standing around the site.

8. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

The strike won't happen. It's illegal and more importantly, the union would be fined around $25,000 a day. They are asking for too much. They want I believe a 25% raise (or maybe 40%).
    Also, the MTA is not a city organization, it's all from the State.

9. ethics

Bob, come now.

What about the quality of life laws that he applied? All of the liberals were pretty unhappy about it until they realized there's no one at the signal light to abuse you.

He also helped make this city safer.

10. Robert Harris

All of his accomplishments were during his first term. During his second term he did nothing much but be a petty pain in the butt -- when he wasn't messing around with female staff members, before he found the love of his life and kicked his wife in the teeth by letting her find out he wanted a divorce from the news.

But for 911 he would have been finished.

11. ethics

Ok, in that regard I totally agree. :)