1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here's a great idea: US to transfer control of the Internet to "the world"

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Greg, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Greg

Greg Full Member

Watching the news on Fox News Network right now, they are discussing the Obama administration's intention to "give away" the Internet to the world. It's not clear which "international body" would control the Internet, the UN, whoever.........

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MINDS??????

I just can't fucking believe this! Everything is fine now. Nobody is complaining about it or if they are then fuck them, we (the US) invented the Internet, we were nice enough to share it with the world, we have even allowed many of the Internet standards for domain registry and technical specifications to be transferred to international organizations such as ICANN (International Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) which manages TLDs (Top Level Domains, the part of an Internet address following the last period) and IP addresses (the blocks of numbers that the domain names translate into so that digital equipment can use them).

The implications of releasing "the Internet" to the entire world and giving up any form of control is that it could be chopped up and partitioned and subjected to regional and local censorship or other activities threatening the freedom of the Internet as a global facility.

I sometimes wonder if everybody in the US can be divided into these categories: (1) conservative, (2) insane, (3) stupid, and/or (4) doesn't give a fuck. In my categorization of "everybody" liberals would fall under one or more of categories 2-4. In my world, Obama is definitely in categories 2 and 3. It's either that or he is an enemy agent or simply wants to destroy the US and destroy freedom and destroy Life As We Know It.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

Respectfully submitted,

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

ICAAN has had overall control over the address system for quite some time now. That's all this is talking about.

And while the US has had veto authority over ICAAN, the plan to end ICAAN oversight has been in the works for years.

3. Greg

Greg Full Member

We are in effect turning the Internet over to the United Nations, arguably one of the most ineffective organizations ever created. In effect the US is giving up any remaining control of the Internet to the UN, and most of the members of this forum are aware of how effective the UN has been in handling (ahem....) global affairs.

In effect the US is Balkanizing the Internet.

We are going to need some new routing protocols to ensure that our TCP/IP connections are not re-routed through hostile governments and NGOs.

Hey, on a positive note, we need a secure email protocol, an email equivalent of HTTPS as it relates to HTTP, who knows maybe POP3S or SMTPS or other secure protocol that encrypts and handshakes the message from sender to recipient that precludes the possibility of intermediate parties intercepting emails.

Microsoft operates one service that allows parties access to secure document transmission by in effect moving the secured part of the communications to HTTPS.

So when is the part where Obama turns over control of the US armed forces to the UN? America is already the world equivalent of 911. We might as well turn over control of our military to the UN because we know the UN can do a better job than we can.........

/sarc

4. Greg

Greg Full Member

Oh, and Tom, please tell me how this act benefits the US. Please tell me why the US giving up all control of the Internet benefits America (e.g. all control as equivalent to all the control the US has over the UN), rather than simply leaving the status quo.

Tell me why we don't let things remain as they are now, particularly since the US has many greater problems to solve, like Putin, like Obamacare, like the missing 777, like the "almost nuclear" Iran...

Hey, we are digging ourselves into a hole. Why not make the hole bigger and deeper?

5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Who says we're giving up control? The media? The same media outlets that couldn't find a packet if it bit them on the arse?

The only thing the government is giving up is ICAAN, and we haven't had control over that in years.

Let me ask YOU a question. Who controls the root DNS? And where are they located?

'Nuff said.