1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help -- what is this file?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Robert Harris, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

So, I decided to try Spywareblaster, which someone recommended. Downloaded it, installed it, tried to run it and got:

"Componeent "mscomctl.ocx" or one of its dependencies not correctly registered -- a file is missing or invalid. "

Interesting. Have not gotten this message ever when running other programs, so I do not think anything else needs this file (or dependencies).

So here is what I conclude. Tell me if I am wrong. Either:

1) The file was included in the Spywareblaster package but did not install properly, or

2) The file was not included in Spyblaster -- but should have been, since Spyblaster but nothing else else seems to need it.

???

2. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

All I can remember off the top of my head is that it's connected with VBasic, I think version 6. I'll try to find out more, although someone else may jump in with the proper answer before I get back... ;)

EDIT:
    OK, it appears you're not the only one, Bob. Here is the link to a thread at the Wilders.org forums dealing with SpywareBlaster and the VB controls...

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php?board=34;action=display;threadid=5169

Hope this helps!!

(I don't know why my links are turning out strangely formatted lately - they do go to the right place, at least!)

3. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

4. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Or....

To use regsvr32 to register mscomctl.ocx, open a Command Prompt, navigate to the directory that contains mscomctl.ocx, then type the following:

regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx

5. IamZed

IamZed ...

6. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

OK. Tried Zed's link since it looked easier and got it, installed and Spyblaster seems to run -- at least the update program did, whereas before nothing would start.

Thanks to all. It really is great to have access to people who know something. :)