1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me with a Tatt...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Feb 16, 2008.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I can't even write out the entire word this is how un-me this is.

Long story short, with me getting the bike (soon) and riding with my Biker cousin (and he is a true image of a biker--muscles, brawn, wear, tattoo, the whole nine yards) he has two musts for me.

1. I must get back in to my previous shape in body strength (working out).

2. I must get a tattoo.

Working out is not a problem. It's actually a good thing that he has this conditional. I am not overweight but I can be a lot more healthier and pick up where I dropped exercising back in my mid twenties -- and yes, I know it will be different: harder, more recovery, etc... Besides I promised the wife (for years now) that she would get to see my body that I used to have.

Tattoo? Oh man. I am a conservative boy who works in Wall Street. While I am not a suit, it's still pretty anti-tattoo culture, you know. But I HAVE to get one other wise (and while he says this smiling he means it) he is not "riding with me."

Soooo, I pretty much ruled out ANYplace that would be visible at work when I roll up my sleeves a bit-- so fore arms are out. It has to be upper arms/bicep area.

The tough part is what to get? I don't want that silly barbed wire shit that is already outdated or anything that WOULD date me. Forget about Star of David--or anything religiously symbolic, God knows there are plenty of ignoramuses even in NYC.

So I need ideas.

And being that this forum has had A LOT of influence in my life decisions, I figured what better group of people to ask?

2. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Well, it certainly needs to be unique, right? Sounds like you don't want anything that anyone else has.

What about some sort of combination of the Star of David and some Ukrainian cultural or folklore symbol?

Edit: Or some heraldry symbol, like the Ukrainian State Arms?

3. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

OK first off where are you going to get it done? Have any idea? Here's a place in Brooklyn. Go in and get a consultation. Look at their business. Ask questions. Relax. Do not tell them you're being told to get a tattoo to ride a bike. Trust me on this one. ;)

http://www.omegatattoo.com/index.shtml

He can do Giger. I'd take a close look at some Giger and see what he thinks about placement. When I got my tattoo, I had it put on the back of my shoulder so when I wear a tank top, it shows but I'm a girl.

My husband has a lot of tattoos. His back is covered, both arms almost sleaves. Has one on the side of his leg in the shin area on the side.

Outside of the forearm is a nice area. Outside upper arm too. Left is best. I always do everything left. Extra piercings etc. Used to be right only meant gay. Stupid but old burn outs like me see things like this. LOL ;)

For a Giger type, upper arm outside would look way cool. Slightly wrapping. Just my opinion. Want to get bigger? Get back done. A lot of work but it's worth it and for a guy, it's a safe spot.

The best thing is to really speak to an artist. Tell him about yourself and what your interests are. They'll be able to guide you. Then come back and tell us what they said. Take it slow. Be sure to check their portfolio. Don't be afraid to ask others questions in the shop but don't act scared.

Giger is hard. This guy is acclaimed and on exhibit in a museum. I'd take a look at him and his work. I like his work from what I see on his site.

4. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

How about on your upper back/shoulder area.

5. ethics

Nothing Ukrainian. Not really connected there except birth.

6. ethics

Could work? I don't want anything TOO big though.

7. ethics

Thanks Vio... Not sure I like Giger. Then again, the right piece of work, who knows.

8. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

I've been contemplating a tattoo for 3-4 years now. The one thing I've settled on is that I want it to show how important my family is to me. Odds are, when I get around to it, the tattoo will be my family's coat of arms from Ireland.
    [​IMG]

I don't have any kids, but I know you do. Something that shows your love for your wife and kids maybe?

9. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Well my point is if he's an acclaimed Giger artist, he's one of the best. He probably can do anything, which is why I said check him out. Check his portfolio while there. The right piece of work is what I meant more or less. He's close and can do some pretty intense hard stuff. Giger isn't easy.

Tribal is nice. Husband just got a tribal when I got my tatt. He got a tribal piece with the zodiac signs of me, himself and the kids worked into it. You can't tell they're really there unless you know to look. Just looks like a cool looking tribal piece. I love tribal.

How about something that works this one in? ;)

10. ethics

Was thinking on that. Not sure what though. A name under a pic itself?

AHHHH! Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for an excellent tip!

Tribal is nice.

How about something that works this one in? ;)[/quote]

Now Tribal I can do because it would be timeless and it's not something you will think, "oh, I should have got a wolf head" or something like that. Hmmm, and put in my "ethics" Plato or Socrates? Won't be too "geeky"?

11. Coot

I have one on my right shoulder blade, about 6" or so.

12. ethics

6" would work, actually. What is it of?

13. Greg

Greg Full Member

You're delusional. Think it over for 6 months. You'll probably thank me if you take my advice.

14. Coot

It's a medicine wheel, in celebration of the native half of my genealogy.

15. ethics

AH! How cool is that?

16. ethics

I doubt it. My dad had a mermaid on his upper arm for since I can remember. Always wanted one and this slight shift in beginning my new second part of my life is a push I may have needed.

In other words, this isn't something I have not thought over, the bike was just something that nudged me towards getting one. It feels right and there's really no medical reason not to get one.

17. Greg

Greg Full Member

Good luck E-guy.

18. ethics

Thanks! Don't worry, it won't be anything crazy. :) Nothing like this

19. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

Leon,

Remember that miniatures wargame that I play, Warhammer 40k? Here are some examples of what people have done to themselves just for that wargame. I can scare up some additional tats if that's what you want...

20. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

Depends on you and your family man. You could do portraits. One I had considered was four wolf heads, denoting myself, my parents, and my sister. And that could be added to if/when I ever start a family of my own.

But of course, that's me. I'm just tossing ideas I've had out there to maybe give you some ideas :)