1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Diablo 3] Hell mode

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by Copzilla, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

is hard. That is all. :)

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

What did you expect? One of these?

[​IMG]

3. Copzilla

So I hit the gold auction house, looked for gear bargains and significantly upgraded my DPS. I went from a sneeze over 3k to 5.3k. MUCH better.

The biggest problem with Hell mode is the blue mobs. They're totally ridiculous. Instead of two special abilities as they have in Nightmare, they have three. This makes combos like desecration, plague and jail or waller all realities. Or maybe you'll get something really cool like extra health, vampiric and teleport, so kiting does... nothing! I've tried different builds to help combat those unusual ability combos, but the real solution is to kick the everliving snot out of them.

So the level 53 wizard with good DPS gear is a pretty tough toon, and now chewing through Hell mode a little easier.

4. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Yep, you have to have the right gear. If you're dying, you don't have it. I found running helps too. ;)

5. Copzilla

Oh, I can run. I have a patent on kiting techniques. Even so, they kill me periodically.

I'll tell you though, I LOVE the wizard talent "Archon", which essentially doubles your firepower for a short while. I immediately hit it when encountering blue mobs, and try to focus-fire one of them down, which makes survivability much better. Even screwed up combos like waller, teleport and fire chains are survivable if you can make one of them dead within the first 8 or 10 seconds.

You know, come to think of it, I don't think there really IS a good combination of three abilities. But some are worse than others. Extra health, vampiric and anything else is really bad. You gotta dig your heels in for a long long fight, and don't let them do damage to you or they heal up.

6. Copzilla

Aaaand, Hell mode is down for the count. On to Inferno.

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

This is where I start to LOL on Copz status... :)

8. Copzilla

Being an end-gamer in WOW helped. You don't stand in fire. Fire bad. And some fights are long fights, fights where you cannot get impatient, if you live, eventually they die. You just hen-peck them down while staying alive.

9. Copzilla

Inferno is ridiculous.

That is all.

Well, that's not really all. Again had to upgrade DPS. When I exited Hell mode into Inferno, I was at about 7.5k DPS, and it was immediately evident that was not going to be enough. Went to the gold AH again looking for bargains, jacked my DPS waaay up, and then speed-farmed Act 3 Hell mode for crap to sell to make money because I was flat broke. I'm cranked up to 15k DPS, and that is much more tolerable. At least I have a chance against the Inferno blue mob packs.

By the way, Hell mode Act 3 front to back gets you about a quarter million gold and about 15 sellable gear pieces. It's very cool how loot works once you're level 60. For every elite pack you kill, you get a buff, to a max of 5 buffs. Those buffs increase your treasure drop rate. If you kill a boss without those buffs, you will maybe get two blues, or a blue and a gold, but if you kill a boss with 5 buffs, he will drop 3 or 4 blues and usually a couple of gold gear items. And the rat pack mobs and baby bosses drop a lot more gold items as well. I cleared Act 3 Hell in a couple hours with 5 treasure buffs most of the way, and it was nicely profitable.