1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heil Bloomberg

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 20, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Apologies for using a sensationalized thread title but...

As many of you know, New York is on anti-smoking kick. Bloomberg, the mayor of NYC, wants to ban smoking in Central Park, for instance, and Madison Square Garden forbids smoking indoors.

When the Rolling Stones performed there this weekend, however, two band members were caught on tape smoking on stage during the show. Bloomberg dispatched police officers with summonses, but the Stones managed to avoid authorities after the show.

This is a bigger policy question: does a municipality have the right to control its residents smoking habits? And didn't the Stones rent MSG for private use? Shouldn't they be able to decide the rules, then?

Man, I thought Rudy was a control freak...

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Bloomberg is going too far, and will probably end up getting smacked in court. Seem to recall reading a few news articles where communities are being told they can not BAN smoking totally. They can restrict it inside community buildings, but other than that, they can't further restrict it.

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Bloomberg is, I believe, an idiot.

SM

4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Afraid you are right, Steve. He seemed to start out OK but has slowly been slipping into being a real asshole. Not so slowly lately, too.

5. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

I don't think it can be said any better than that.
    I mean, Jesus Christ, the "smoking police"? I guess by
    targeting the rolling stones he figured he could get better coverage for his "cause". Which, by the way, I don't understand why it's such a big deal to him..... doesn't he have a lot more things on his plate that he should be paying attention to?
    He reminds me of that annoying know it all uncle that everyone in the family hates to visit but tolerates.

6. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

He's running the city like it's his own personal corporation. Bloomie does exhibit the worst of the GOP, and if I were a registered Republican, I'd be embarrassed.

SM

7. Ugly

Ugly Fish is Brain Food

Good thing these folks are not in Singapore where some minor quality-of-life crimes are punishable by caning, not summonses.
    Ugly