1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heads up

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Biker, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Now that I have access to a PC, there's some serious maintenance that needs to be done to the site, including upgrades to the software. Not going to do it today, but definitely need to work on the site within the next few days. Will take some time to determine everything that needs to be done, but once the list is completed, I'll announce when I'll be doing the work.

2. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

He's baaaaaaaaack! :)
    Happy New Year to ya Biker.

3. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

LOL! Wow!

5. Biker

6. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

I know this is just me being a whiny-ass, but once the upgrades are done, can you restore the front page that we used to have, a version or so ago? The one with online users, birthdays, etc....

7. Biker

Not sure what I'm going to do with that. Rumor has it that Version 4 will have something like this included as part of the basic package, making it a LOT easier to create a portal page.

I'll most likely toss it back in there, but keep in mind, it's not going to be at the top of my priority list once I start the upgrade. Broken features within the forum will get full attention first.

8. Biker

Today's the day. I'll give about 15-30 minutes notice before I shut the forum down. Initial upgrade shouldn't take more than a few minutes and then forum will be turned back on. After that, I'll be working on getting the "goodies" installed.

9. Biker

Going to start in about an hour....

10. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

Good luck!

11. Biker

Site is up.. Now to install/code the goodies.

12. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Jeez! That's a sweet-ass looking logo, and the new appearance is really shaping up! Most excellent :)

13. Biker

Other than the PoM stuff, I think I pretty much have stuff back to normal. If you find something that isn't working quite right, post it here. Thanks....

14. ethics

No offense to whomever created it, but it doesn't fit with the minimalist theme we've had for ages.

15. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

But it's so durn purty! :)

16. Biker

The image was already on the server and I tossed the URL in as a place holder. I'll try to find the other image we were using.

17. ethics

Btw, thanks for all the hard work.. you spent hours on this.

18. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Yes, thank you very much!

19. Greg

Greg Full Member

I'd like to thank you for your work. I've had recent occasion to administrate several sites (running SMF) and I've gained a new appreciation for the tightrope that an admin must walk to keep the site up to date and yet not lose any posts, PMs or other data. It's damned hard, it's hard work, and it takes a very expert person to do it all and not f*** it up. Thanks!

And I've noticed a new return to an appreciated feature. It seems that now you can see a distinct thread icon that signifies topics that you've posted in. I had actually given up on ever having this feature back. It's nice to see that the vB authors decided to bring it back.

Again, thank you for your hard work! :)

20. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

We had that before, along with a highlight color in the search listing. That is, if you used "New Posts," threads you posted in were highlighted in yellow, I think, as opposed to the blue shade for all the others.